5D Mark II Microphone

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by saxondale., Jan 15, 2010.

1. saxondale. macrumors 6502

I have a few mics (SM58, AKG C1000s), which are both good for vocals. What's the best and cheapest way to connect it to my 5D Mark II so i can have a stereo signal? I'm doing a report, so i need around 2M of cable.

2. mmoto macrumors member

The 5D MII and 7D force auto-gain for sound input. This makes consistent volume during audio recording very difficult. The two common solutions are:
    1) Buy a Beachtek DXA-5D (http://www.beachtek.com/dxa5d.html). The Beachtek fools the auto gain but sending a constant tone down one of the stereo channels.
    2) Record the audio independent of the camera and sync it later. This is what I do. The most popular recorder for DSLR users is the Zoom H4n. The H4n includes XLR mic inputs with phantom power so you mics would connect without adapters.
    The Plural-Eyes plug-in is a popular FCP plug-in for audio sync though it's not necessary if you are good with a clap-board. There are some good iPhone clap-board apps by the way.

-Brad

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

What sort of vocals? Are you just doing interviews?

For the best quality results, mmoto has the correct answer for you - record into an external recorder and sync in post.

Remember that this external recorder could be your computer... if you're recording song vocals you may be able to use a simple adapter and plug the SM58 into a laptop to record.

For an 'OK' result, check out the Rode Videomic. It's a mono shotgun microphone with a built in preamp that slots into the hotshoe of the camera, and then plugs into the audio input. Results from this are much better than the built in microphone - and this sort of setup is fine for interviews/documentary stuff.

The Rode Stere Vidomic costs a lot more and I don't think it's as good (I have both, but I'm selling the stereo version). It's not a shotgun mic, so it picks up close sounds better than further ones and it's got a lot of hiss.

4. saxondale. thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an mbox 2 and pro tools i guess i could use. Never thought about using other hardware and then syncing it up later. I'll also check out that plugin. Thanks guys!

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

If you use a clapperboard, or even just clap your hands in front of the camera/microphone when you start shooting, then you'll find it a lot easier to sync audio and video when you come to put them together.