5D-mii: Remove micro-jitters?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MBX, Apr 18, 2010.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hey

Anybody know how to smooth out micro-jitters/ shakes in videos shot with the 5d-mii? I use the 24-70 lens and there's no image stabilization on these.

I know there's a plugin to remove shutter skewing effects and i know there's tracking stabilization in after effects but that's not really for micro-jitters/ shakes.

Any ideas and suggestions?

Thanks

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

no idea what you mean by micro-jitters... can you post a sample?

although my mind-reading techniques think you are talking about aliasing artifacts from terrible way the 5D scales the image sensor, which can't be fixed.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm guessing 'micro-jitters' are small amounts of unwanted camera movement from shooting handheld. Have you tried using the SmoothCam feature in Motion?

Lethal

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

If the "micro-jitters" are what I think the micro-jitters are, the answer is probably in shooting more carefully and with some purpose-designed support.

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

You and LethalWolfe are right but i'm just not interested to get a 2-5k rig just for that ;)

Maybe some 300-400$ from Zacuto are good too?

6. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Honestly the only way to get rid of the "micro-jitters" in DSLR video, short of a steadicam or expensive shoulder support system, is to use an image stabilized / vibration compensation lens. There is post-production software that will help too, but it negatively affects image clarity.

Zacuto does make some sub-$1000 support rigs, and that would definitely help, but it won't completely eradicate "micro-jitters".

7. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Well the 24-70 lens doesn't have image stabilization and as far as i know none do below that mm-range.

I tested the Magic Bullet Steady plugin and while it does do a good job on the jerky motion removal it unfortunately increases the rollingshutter-wobble effect which is a deal breaker.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Tripods and monopods aren't that expensive. If you are looking for something so you can do handheld camera moves you basically just need to add weight to the camera to smooth it out. Google "poor man's steadicam" and you'll see a lot of DIY options.

Lethal

9. flyindustries macrumors newbie

Try going wide

The wider angle you shoot, the less you'll notice jitters. You'll also get better video often by going in close and zooming out more often than not. The shallow depth of field should be reduced as well helping to make the jitters less obvious.

When doing stills, my rule is only use a tripod when I have to and for video it is the direct opposite. If you can afford a 5d, you can afford a suitable tripod I suspect.

Smoothing video out in software is very slowwwwwwwwwww. You only want to do it if you have to.

Nice problem to have, with such a fine camera.

10. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

[Zacuto does make some sub-$1000 support rigs, and that would definitely help, but it won't completely eradicate "micro-jitters".[/QUOTE]

Zacuto rigs are somewhat expensive in my mind, and massively over rated.
    indisystems do similar things.

as for jittery shots, perhapse a mono-pod might give you the flexibility of hand-held with steadyness of a tri-pod :D