5D mk. II Focusing Screens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lone Deranger, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

So in order to improve my manual focusing abilities I'm planning on getting a better focusing screen for my 5D mk. II.
    Found this Taiwanese retailer online that sells original Canon focusing screens re-tooled to work in a 5D mk. II.

Has anybody ordered from these guys? Just wondering if they are reputable or not.

2. SWC macrumors 6502

While those do offer a few more options in terms of patterns on screen, is there any particular reason you don't want the ones made specifically for the 5d MKII?

I use the grid screen and it is a huge step up over the standard focusing screen for my use. There is also a super precision model which may be what you are looking for.

3. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I am also wondering why that site refers to the screens as Ec-x, as the correct Canon part #'s for the 5DII screens is Eg-x.

They're also twice as expensive as the Canon parts.

4. Lone Deranger thread starter macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

SWC: I've been looking to get a focusing screen that offers a split screen focusing area. Canon currently does not offer such a screen for the mk. II off the shelf. So one has to go looking at 3rd party solutions.

FX120: The reason why these screens are labeled Ec-x is because they weren't originally made for the 5D mk. II. These are screens made for EOS-1/1N/1V, EOS-3, D2000 & 1D cameras and have been re-tooled to work with the 5D mk. II. Hence the higher price.

5. cube macrumors G5

I also found that place, but I haven't ordered anything from them yet.

Better ask at dpreview.

6. Lone Deranger thread starter macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Yes... I would ask at DPReview... but I find the forums there a battle ground filled with strife and hatred. So I figured I'd ask here first. :D