5D MK II, or not to 5D MK II..?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Abyssgh0st, Aug 15, 2010.

  1. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

    Abyssgh0st

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Location:
    Norman, OK
    #1
    So, I am in a bit of a predicament. Basically, even though I love my recently acquired 1D Mark II it just isn't what I'm looking for as I am settling in regarding my photographic needs and I really am gaining an interest in portrait, people, and automotive (still) photography. Hence the better viewfinder, live view, DOF, and no crop factor will help me. Also interested in shooting some video occasionally.

    What to remember:
    Looking to spend sub $1000.
    Utilizing Canon's Loyalty Program (CLP), assuming I can get a 5D Mark II for $1679.00+ TX taxes. (Have a broken XT to send in, or can get a cheap P&S if they'll accept it).
    Definitely open to other suggestions or addendums to my options (considering the 100mm f2.8, possibly L version).

    Current equipment: 1D Mark II, 17-40L, Canon 50mm f1.4, 70-200 f2.8L


    Option 1:
    Sell 1D Mark II (~$700-750)
    Sell 70-200 f2.8L (~$900)
    Buy 5D Mark II (CLP) (~$1820)
    Damage= $170-220.
    Plans for the future: Buy 85mm f1.8, Canon 135L, or maybe even the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 ZE Planar T*. Timeframe: 4 months until next lens.

    Option 2:
    Sell 1D Mark II (~$700-750)
    Sell 70-200 f2.8L (~$900)
    Buy 5D Mark II (CLP) (~$1820)
    Buy Canon 85mm f1.8 (~$350)
    Damage= $520-570.
    Plans for the future: Possibly upgrade 17-40L to 16-35mm f2.8L II, buy 135L. Timeframe: 4 months until next lens.

    Option 3:
    Sell 1D Mark II (~$700-750)
    Sell 70-200 f2.8L (~$900)
    Buy 5D Mark II (CLP) (~$1820)
    Buy Canon 135L (~$850)
    Damage= $1020-1070. Yikes!
    Plans for the future: Possibly upgrade 17-40L to 16-35mm f2.8L II, eventual upgrade to 50L.

    Option 4:
    Sell 1D Mark II (~$700-750)
    Sell 70-200 f2.8L (~$900)
    Buy 5D Classic (~$1000)
    Buy 135L (~$850)
    Damage: $250-300. Not bad at all.

    Honestly when I reflect on these, I think options 3 or 4 are the way to go. With option 4 I would have the 5DC, 17-40L, 50 f1.4, 135L. I know it's not exactly an ideal setup, but it's nice. The only thing I like more than that is the same setup with the 5D Mark II (Option 3).

    So, do you think it's worth the extra $770-820 to have the 5D Mark II over the 5D Classic?

    P.S: I am a constant product luster and I worry that if I got the 5DC option, I'd end up with a 5D Mark II within six months time.

    Thanks so much! You guys are the best.
     
  2. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Location:
    Kenya
    #2
    I don't think the 5D "classic" does video, and if it does I'm sure it's not as adept as the 5D2.

    The real question is, as you already summarized, whether the 5D is "good enough" for you compared to a 5D2 and $800 less in the bank. And I don't think any of us can answer that for you. There will be dozens of web pages comparing the two models though.

    The question of what lenses to add and when is secondary really, and it looks like you're still in the process of deciding whether you want the 85mm or 135mm or both, but that can be taken care of in the future.

    Just as a thought, the 16-35/2.8 doesn't sound (to me) much better than the 17-40/4 for the uses you describe. What were your thoughts regarding upgrading that lens?

    Hope that's a bit of help.
    Jonathan.
     
  3. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2001
    Location:
    Sendai, Japan
    #3
    This is the problem: you just want a 5D Mark II, because it's shiny. I don't see from your post why your 1D Mark II does not satisfy your needs. There are a bunch of advantages of the 5D Mark II over the 1D Mark II, but you're not mentioning any of the corresponding buzz words (weight, additional resolution, etc.).

    IMO you should just enjoy your current equipment and wait.

    PS I don't mind people buying stuff because they want it. But you're crippling yourself because you'd have to sell the 70-200 mm -- IMO that's a big mistake. Save another $1000, sell the 1D Mark II and perhaps by that time, you'll already get a 5D Mark III.
     

Share This Page