5d mkiii..

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by alksion, Mar 2, 2012.

1. alksion, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

2. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

its a welcomed spec bump and i am sure its going to get some stunning photos and videos but i doubt you could tell the difference from the mk2.

Great camera but I'm not going to re-morgage the house for one. i'll probably wait till the mk2 drops in price in the next few months and buy that. all i need to do is paint a small " | " by the mark || bit

3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I think I am more interested in a 7D2, but I really need a dedicated camera for weddings. Hopefully I'll see something at NAB...

4. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Well the 30 minute clip limit and I-frame codec is pretty good news for a lot of people I know. Free run TC is a nice touch too.

5. evrgrc macrumors newbie

I was looking into the D800 and the MIII as well.

Can you use iMovie with the MII? I saw that the price would be dropping a fair amoung in the coming months. We currently are using an actual 1080p 60 progressive fps camcorder to shoot video. Great quality, with the imovie codec included. The MII does not include a headphone jack which limits audio recording for video. (You have to record into a digital recorder than transfer and edit independantly when using the MII correct?) I am new to the wedding videography business and still learning the ins and outs of equipment.

Please enlighten me on the MII and if it would be worth going with once the price drops vs the (supposibly easier to use MIII)

Thanks!

Liz

6. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

The 5D mk ii does have a stereo 3.5 mm jack audio input, but I think you have no control over the levels (i.e. it is auto gain). These problems have pushed most people to use external audio recorders like the Zoom H4 and sync audio in post production, using the Canon 5D's onboard audio as a control/sync track only. It's not so bad if you have time, but with short turn around times it is a bit of a pain, and you need to use a clapperboard on all your shots that need synced audio. Once it's in the editing software and synced, though, it's business as usual and there is no need to edit 'independently'.

The 5D mk iii still doesn't have a great onboard microphone though, it's just got better controls of the input and an onscreen level viewer (essential to making sure the levels aren't saturating). You still need a good/great microphone attached to the hot shoe, or a sound boom operator hooked up to the mini jack input via an XLR adaptor (not so great).

7. evrgrc macrumors newbie

Regarding the Mark II. That's good to hear. I need to do some more research on the camera.

We have three of these http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Lavalier...D2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1330713194&sr=8-13. Which we use for independant audio. Granted the camcorder we have can only handle two channels at once. The audio is crystal clear and it can get the pastor/priest as well as bride and groom with just one. Although we always hook two, and hook the father of the bride at the reception.

I keep hearing we shouldn't even be using the the method we use, and should stick to digital recorders such as those you mentioned. I just need to learn how to take the audio from those, and synch it to the video in iMovie.

We do a Same Day Edit option in one of our packages which requires a few hour turn around. One person shoots while the other edits to prepare video for the reception.

Would you suggest a Mark II over the III, especially since the prices will drop soon?

Thanks again.

8. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

have u heard of pluraleyes?

9. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Okay guys, I understand there are new features, it is a new camera. I am just saying for over three years in R&D and this is what they push out? It looks like a great stills camera, but nothing I am exactly stoked about in video.

I will say, being able to record a wedding ceremony and leaving a 5Diii on a tripod without running back to keep hitting record is welcomed, but that isn't a "wow" factor to me.

Like I said, I am going to wait for NAB 2012 because I am in desperate need of dedicated video camera with auto focus and great low light for running around at events and weddings.

I'll keep my two 60D's, but I'll wait and see what Canon has in store for updated video cameras.

10. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

I have heard of it but none of the companies I freelance for have it. I should try the demo and see how it can help me, thanks for reminding me ! You still need to set up the shots in the timeline to run plural eyes though, which is time saved with good onboard sound.

That's a great start !

So do the 5D mk ii and iii. It records as a stereo track too, so you have to tell your editing app to separate the tracks or turn them into mono.

As an editor I much prefer having the video and audio together, it's much faster, and camcorders are meant for that. The 5D's problem is having a good audio recording onboard, and as with XLR to mini jack converters we haven't had much luck we end up recording booms and Lavaliers to external audio decks. The other advantage is that you can get 4 track recorders to have separate Lavaliers and booms.

Plural Eyes might help.

The Mark II will drop in price soon I imagine, and probably there will be good second hand deals.

----------

Wasn't that the C300 ?

11. WRP macrumors 6502a

If you're a good editor and the footage was recorded correctly, you can sync dual system audio faster than pluraleyes.

Here's a note about the 30 minutes of video. It will keep recording but it is going to split it into 3 video files. You won't have one continuous 30 minute file.

It's too much with too little for people who want to shoot video mostly. For photographers who dabble in video it would be the bees knees.

As I am video guy that just hobbies photography I will probably just buy a MKII and keep my 7D.

Note, as of now the 5DmkIII is not called a replacement to the 5DmkII. For the time being Canon is going to continue manufacture the mkII. So while the price may drop (I suspect closer to christmas levels) I wouldn't plan on anything earth shattering. I still think once this thing drops you will be able to get a 5DmkII AND a 7D for the price of a 5DmkIII. That is actually tempting for some folks.

12. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Yes and no. I could buy two XF300's for that price. I understand for filmmaking but event videography having and XF300 form factor + its features is more with it to me right now.

Now if we could get the XF300 to about $5000, then we're talking!

13. cgbier macrumors 6502a

The C300 is a cinema cam, not very suited for events. The 5D is a compromise.
    However, my event cam is the XF100 right now.

Pluraleyes? FCP X does the trick without issues.

14. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

5d3 = 5d2n

5d3 = a bit of a yawn and over priced. Nikon D800 has clean hdmi out, that's the ticket. Maybe Magic Lantern will provide a 3rd party hack for the 5d2 & 3, but who wants to rely on that?!

$200 Black Magic Intensity and a MacBook Pro...and you get broadcast quality.

If you have a lot of Canon L glass...well... *I* would just stick with the 5d2. Even Vincent Laforet gave the 5d3 a lukewarm endorsement and he's a Canon spokesperson...under contract with them.

Just my 2 cents

15. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Oh, that is a bit of an annoyance.

16. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Same as video cameras now. They all have a 4GB file size limit. I blame Apple :eek:
    (No hear me out: the cards are FAT32 formatted to give cross-platform compatibility and FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit. If the manufacturers didn't care about Apple they probably would have used NTFS which has no such limit. Of course they could choose UDF and be done with it.)

17. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Or HFS+ ? :p

Of course you're right, I just remembered that XDCAM EX clips do this as well. But they show up in Avid and FCP as a kind of a group clip, so only 1 element in a bin...

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I think this looks great!

I wont be selling my 5D2 to get one though, I haven't had time for photography lately so it would be a bit of a waste.

19. imported91 macrumors newbie

Sounds like perhaps you need to do some more research into dslr cinematography in general. Here is a good site to get you started:

http://nofilmschool.com/dslr/

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I'll be buying one for stills eventually but I bought my ii for half price. So it's a hard sell now.

21. pigbat macrumors regular

I actually blame Microsoft. They could have easily adopted one of the Unix variants of filesystem formatting many years ago and everything would be good today.

22. WRP, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

It is but since they aren't going to skip a beat, syncing audio won't be a problem. All you have to do is sync the first clip with the audio (if you really are keeping them both running that long of course) and just slide the next two clips up next to it. Sure once, you have to restart after 30 minutes you'll have to sync again but the following clips will fall nicely into place.

I see it as a non issue personally as I very rarely have to deal with such extended shooting periods, but even if I did, it's not like it will add any time to syncing. And it would even further illustrate how a good editor can sync way faster if they know what they are doing than using pluraleyes.

But it could be a GIGANTIC PITA if you are multiclipping them with cameras running at different record intervals.

Another thing many of you are missing about the price. Sure, if you want it NOW it will be $3500. Give it a few months until supplies equalize and everyone has it in their hands. You'll be able to get it for -$3000 by this time next year.