5G 30GB to 120GB upgrade

Discussion in 'iPod' started by LRTR, Apr 14, 2011.

1. LRTR macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have a 30GB 5G iPod (Video) which I decided to upgrade to 120GB. I found out online that a Toshiba MK1224GAH drive was suitable for this and I found that it was cheaper to buy a complete external HDD with this drive fitted in rather than buy the drive on its own. When the external HDD arrived the drive inside was actually a Toshiba MK12311GAL which is also 120GB. I have fitted this but I cannot get the iPod to work now, it shows the picture of the folder and an exclamation mark. When I connect it to the PC iTunes occasionally picks it up and asks me to restore it however this completes but doesn't solve the problem. The drive works perfectly in the external HDD that it came with and fitting the the original drive back in works so I don't think it is a hardware fault.

Is there some issue with this drive and 5G iPods or is there something I can try to get it working?

Many Thanks
    Matt

2. blackburn, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Google doesn't show any results. Maybe the drive isn't pata (ce-ata?) or the firmware it's incompatible.

Edit: Try the original ipod hdd in the enclosure if it works the interface is the same (pata) if it doesn't it's most likely ce-ata, I don't know it if will trash the hdd so do it at your own risk.