5G and lies....

AdamNC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
Wow 😳. This 5G stuff is really getting blown out of proportion. My sons 17 year old friend was over last night with his new “Verizon 5G Samsung Note 10+“ and bragging how “it’s so insanely fast blah blah better then old junkie LTE.” You get the idea. After hearing this go on I gathered my proof and told him 1 we don’t even have 5G in our area, 2 He didn’t even have the 5G version of the Note after looking at it. And it’s not going to be in our area for at least 2-3 years. And be reliable. I showed him the maps and all that Even did a speed test. That was funny. My iPhone XR averaged on LTE 45.8MBs. His Note only 22.7. Well he got pissy and left. I wasn’t trying to be a jerk but informative. Next thing I know his mother was pounding on the door. Screaming at me. “Why am I being a jerk I don’t know anything, ect ect.” I calmed her down and she claimed she also had the 5G version 5G service ect. As did her husband. They bought them after dinner just 2 hours ago. I said go get you receipt and all. She came back. Nope. Just regular Note 10+. And looking at their account same thing. No 5G Service. The sales consultant lied to them bad. Told them 5G had been available for 2 months and a bunch of other crap. This was not done at a Verizon Corporate store but a authorized reseller. They are returning the phones. And I am going with them in an hour. Dumbass salesman wrote Full 5G service on the back of the price breakdown.
But I am noticing since TMobil rolled out their sub600 many people think everyone has 5G 1 gig service. Or the other thing I hear is that by June 2020 5G has to be available to everyone in the US per a bill Trump signed. 🤣. Someone needs to write a full story about 5G and all cause there is way too much misinformation out there. That why I am not getting the 2020 IPhone. It would be waste if you live there anywhere except downtown in a major city. Our city Wilmington NC isn’t slated per Crown Castle to get the infrastructure started to support 5Gtill late 2020. I am 20 miles from downtown. It will be a long time before we get it. 2022 at least.
Well they just called time to go embarrass a lying 🤥 salesman.

Reactions: Peter K.

AdamNC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
Update: Got to the store the salesman was a clueless and rude SOB. He tried to say he never brought up 5G, and all kinds of back tracking. But insisted 5G is available and the phones are capable of 5G. Then the husband showed the back of the sheet that said full 5G. He kept saying that’s not his writing ect. Got the store manager involved. Same BS. So I piped up and was on my phone with Verizon. Told them what was going on. Put on speaker and the lady told the manger refund everything and expect a call from corporate about their lies and misinformed sales tactics. Told them to return their old phones. Old 5c’s. They claimed though they already had sent their old phones back. So Verizon CS offered them 300 dollar credit per line. 😳😳😳. A friend of mine is assistant manager of a corporate store in Wilmington. We went there and I talked to my friend about the deal and well they are proud owners of 3 brand new IPhone ProMax’s 256 gigs. And love them. Glad they stayed with Apple.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
It's true — there's a lot of misinformation and hype out there and some unscrupulous vendors are eager to cash in. But caveat emptor. Buyers should be wary of claims about any new technology. The family you helped was fortunate you were in the know. I hope they apologized to you and maybe treated you to dinner.

Having said that, I probably will get one of the 2020 iPhones, but as much for the camera (I have an X) as for anything else, including 5G compatibility.
- - Post merged: - -

AdamNC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
They treated me to lunch and the husband is big into cigars. He gave me a box of Ashton Cuban Cigars. I was surprised.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
There is a lot of mis and disinformation about 5G. From its rollout to people claiming it will kill you.
That's what they always say about everything new and "fast'

"If its emits RF, its a default argument" until "proof" can be given but only "after" it's been out and people have had time to sweep in this info..

People says he same about Wi-fi too, but now the dust has settled.