Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Hey All,

I've had my Ipod 5G for about 2 weeks now. I've been looking after it nicely giving it quick charges and keeping it in an Agent 18 etc. So today I plug it into my iMac with itunes open to let it charge for a solid 5 hours. When I pulled it out about an hour ago the indicator shows the battery life on the last red segment. I know the indicator isnt very accurate with the whole thing about the ipod indicator draining quickly with the battery lasting forever on red, but damn it! Should it not be somewhat on green, if not full.

I dont think the battery life is has been reduced because I've watched a solid
hour/hour and a half of family guy on it with the empty indicator. Im just annoyed because I would like a rough idea of how much I juice I have left. If i can't solve the issue, would Apple replace it? It will be very annoying for a holiday I've got coming up. Im not bothered about the inaccuracy of it when I have it playing, but the shitness of it when I took it off the charge somewhat bothered me.

Any ideas?

Jan 30, 2006
did you by any chances turned off your laptop/desktop?

same thing happened to my brother.....and he thinks it was because he turned off the pc

kalkfi

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2006
Helsinki Finland
Hey SamJ, This is what apple has to say about the incredibly inaccurate thing they call a meter.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61475

As far as getting the most out of the battery. Best advice is always or as often as possible. Let it run out to 0 or dead then do a full recharge. if you check the link above you will also find a link to Apple's battery care page.

Good luck, Kal

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
kalkfi said:
Let it run out to 0 or dead then do a full recharge.

I'm not sure if that is the best advice regarding the Lithium Ion batteries used in the 5th gen video iPods. From that I've heard, it's not a good idea to allow this type of battery to drain down all the way. LI's respond better to a partial rather than a full discharge. So frequent full discharges should actually be avoided. Better to recharge it before it goes into the red.

kalkfi

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2006
Helsinki Finland
luckylisp said:
I'm not sure if that is the best advice regarding the Lithium Ion batteries

Sorry you are right Luckylisp. I misunderstood the "1 and 2 stage" therory. The way it came across was, it would be the same to charge at 50% as 100%.

But with these batteries, like what you where getting at, are better off with the shorter discharge times before recharge

My bad, and your good catch. Thanks, Kal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.