5GHz only wifi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

Does any one split there 5Ghz wifi and and 2.4GHZ WIFI. I am having issues with my late 2011 MBP not connecting to 5Ghz only 2.5GHZ it is a bit a ways but i am wondering if there is anything i can do so i don't need to split them.

2. c1phr macrumors 6502

My router creates two separate networks, one for 2.4 and one for 5. I just told my Mac to forget the 2.4 network, and I only connect to the 5ghz network. I did the same thing with my iPad and I haven't had too many issues.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Same here, mine gives me one of each. All my Apple stuff is on the 5, the rest is on 2.4.

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

that is the only way to do it. Problem is though even though the 5ghz network should be faster it seems to suffer more from distance and obstructions so I use the 2.4ghz network almost exclusively because the 5ghz is faster when I am sitting right beside my time capsule (and up to about 15 feet away) but get a wall between the router and myself and the 2.4ghz is faster (as determined by transferring a file from my laptop to the internal hard drive on the time capsule). Can't remember how old my time capsule is, its the version that came right after the ones that had a bunch of trouble, likely 2011 or 2010.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I notice this as well, signal strength is definitely weaker. I use 5GHz on my rMBP, iPhone and iPad, everything else is 2.4GHz.

6. c1phr macrumors 6502

This is true (as it should be) but I have a weird case in my house where my neighbors all run 2.4 ghz networks and only one runs a 5ghz network. Because of this, my 5ghz network gives me better signal strength on almost all of my devices. I'm on a Netgear WNDR4300 though, not an Apple wireless solution.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Try a WiFi Signal sniffer and adjust the channel to a one that isnt being used by neighbors, most common is 11.

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

I live in the country and have no one else making a wifi signal at all within the range of my network so no interference issues for me, if you changed your channel you may fare better with 2.4ghz also