5hrs and still no mention of Orange UK getting the iPhone

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ss957916, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

BBC News website and Engadget reported this news 5-6hrs ago and still no mention of it on MacRumors.

For what is apparently one of the highest regarded Apple rumour sites, I'd say this is a really poor show.

Unless I'm the only person that thinks this is worth writing about...?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All I know is that if it's a rumor that is too outlandish to write about this site doesn't publish. However, the rumor seems rather probable and it's weird that they're not writing about it.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I was surprised about that as well. ( http://www.orange.co.uk/iphone )

Maybe the admins who approve these stories are still asleep, as it is only morning in the US - where IIRC all the admins are located.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So we get frontpage news about the Zune but no Orange iPhone (yet)? Come on chaps!

5. iOrlando macrumors 68000

it was on this site by 10am.

not deemed worthy of front page. The total viewer impact for something to happen in England is minimal. This is still a U.S. site first. Sorry.

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Should I assume that anyone upset/bothered/concerned/etc. by this has submitted the story using the link on the homepage?

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

For the record, we have a very small writing staff that primarily operates on a U.S. East Coast schedule, so yes, we were offline when the news hit. And when we did come online, there was also an Apple press release story to deal with.

Our apologies for the delay in getting the story posted.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

No... This is an international site.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, it's really part way between the two. We are based in the U.S. and the majority of our traffic comes from the U.S., so that's naturally the biggest focus for us.

But we do try to cover international news as well, because we know that we have readers from all over the world. (For those who are interested, slightly under 10% of our site visitors are from the UK.)

And yes, this is a big story for those readers and for those elsewhere interested in seeing an end to iPhone exclusivity in their countries (including the U.S.), so I've now moved it to the front page. Thanks for your feedback.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Now hurry up with the Vodafone announcement for your 10% of UK visitors :D :p

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

12. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Who are 'us'? Not including the forum mods and that stuff, how many people are behind MR?

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

http://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php

Look at the admins, but ignore knox and blakespot I think.

14. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry - I meant NOT forum people. I meant people in the heart of MR who write articles, make decisions, sell advertising etc. I know there's some guy called Arn and Eric Schmidt. Is it just the two of them?

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Forum people ARE MacRumors people, the admins are the decision makers.

Eric Schmidt? I suggest you Google that name.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hiring Eric Schmidt was a coup. arn swooped in to save the day after he lost his Apple board seat.

17. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh. Am I getting confused between admins and moderators? There's seven 'Forum Admins' but I only ever notice articles written by Arn or Eric (I get the Eric Schmidt thing now. I meant Slivka)

How often do the admins actually meet in person?

Perhaps you should all consider having a couple of admins in Europe somewhere?

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

On the editorial front, I (Eric Slivka, not Schmidt :)) primarily write the front page news stories these days, although arn pitches in from time to time. Marianne generally writes for the iPhone blog along with some other behind-the-scenes duties, although sometimes that content ends up on the front page if it's big news.

We have a small handful of other writers who will occasionally post stories, but they are not regular contributors.

Editorial and forum staff members don't meet in person on a regular basis, although many of us have met some others of us at various times through events like Macword and WWDC or through or own travels.

19. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

And do you all do it for the love of it or is there some remuneration? Do you see it as a job or a hobby?

I'm intrigued!

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Given that it pays my bills, I see it as a job. But it's also a hobby. ;)

(Thanks, iBlue. :))

22. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

And the rest of you do it for free?!

Wow.

I'll be a little less judging next time a story takes a few hours to appear!

23. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, arn owns the site (and some others), and it's his full-time job. Marianne and I are both paid employees.

The rest of the staff are essentially volunteers.

24. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Just to add my tuppence ha'penn'orth: Arn has stated that MR is an aggregation blog site, meaning that it gathers rumours previously published on other sites. As such, it will always be a few days / hours later than other sites.

Offhandedly I can't remember MR scooping / breaking any genuine news on its front page. There have been newsworthy events that first appeared in the MR forums, such as a couple of trojans and if I remember rightly, iPhone Girl (which made global news), but they appeared in the forums first then on the front page.

HTTH. HAND.

25. iOrlando macrumors 68000

well the reason i felt that the story was totally fine on the side of the page (i understand it was later posted as front story) was that I am assuming apple will continue to expand the carriers that will be selling the iphone as time goes on. Where do you call the line and say ok..maybe we dont need to have a front page story everytime this happens. Instead say 1-2 of these stories come out each month...slap them over to the side and there you go.

considering the large portion of US viewers, I can see if verizon got the phone to put that on the front page since it would impact many viewers. I prefer quality over quantity in terms of stories and rumors.