5K iMac and iPhoto question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imac abuser, Apr 4, 2015.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I have a 27" iMac 5K running Mac OS X 10.10.2 and iPhoto 9.6.1 when looking at your photos you can bring them up but they are very small. I know that the resolution of the 5K monitor is very high and you can zoom. However my wife doesn't like the way it looks and we don't want to zoom every picture. Any ideas on how to change the appearance? Is it just something that has to do with the photo resolution.

Thanks for your help.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

The trouble with iPhoto is that it doesn't give you much control over the zooming of the photos themselves. In something like Lightroom, you'd be able to keep the application window the same size, but zoom the enclosed photo to 1:1, or Fit, or 1:2, or whatever.

If your photo is small then the riMac would need to zoom it to show it in the same dimensions as on say a non retina iMac. Everything on an riMac is gonna be 4x smaller since the amount of pixels per sq inch is 4x greater. So it you double the size by scaling (4x in area) it then looks pretty much the same as on the old iMac.

You need to try an editing program that is more retina aware than iPhotos. It's a shame Apple's own product is rather stunted in this regard. Take a look at a demo of GraphicConverter and you'll see how it handles this differently.