Resolved 5K iMac Crashing & Instability

Discussion in 'iMac' started by redheeler, May 27, 2016.

1. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

A few days ago my iMac froze up and crashed, I posted about it here. Since then it has happened again several times, and often webpages in Safari and Opera will crash as well.

Has anyone else been having this problem, or is it just me? I updated to 10.11.5 not too long ago, and I also upgraded the RAM to faster 2133 MHz earlier this month. However, the crashing only started last Tuesday.

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Well you could roll back each of the changes one by one to see if that improves stability...
    But in all honesty, that my experience of OS X for the last few years it not really been stable and I've made no changes.

edit i don't have an iMac, but basic trouble shooting.

3. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'll try a clean install later.

4. jerwin macrumors 65816

You could boot into hardware diagnostic mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

5. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't even thought about running the Apple Hardware Test to be honest. It found an issue with memory (PPM002). Not sure why it lasted two weeks without an issue...

I'll have to make sure the RAM is seated correctly. Sure hope it's not that one of the sticks went bad.

6. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

Update: It appears that's exactly what it is, one of the sticks has gone bad. I'll have to contact the Amazon seller and ask for a return. Thanks again for the suggestion @jerwin.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the update, and glad you found the issue. When ever a change to a configuration occurs, its best to look there first, even if it was working fine for a short period of time.