5K iMac discounts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMas70, Mar 8, 2017.

1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

I'm going to be purchasing a 5K iMac this month so I've started to search to see if there are any discounts available. I haven't found to much. I also checked Apple's Refurbished section. There is one possibility there but it's a 395. I rather have the 395X. The configuration I'm going with is -
    • 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB
    • 2TB Fusion Drive
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
    The benefit of ordering from Apple is I can pick it up at one of there stores in NH so I save $182.00 in sales tax. I guess that's a discount but I wouldn't mind saving something off of the price.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

If you can hang on for another month or so, you might be able to pick up a 2015 5K iMac at a discount when Apple refreshes the line with the 2017 models. B&H Photo in NYC has most configurations of the 5K iMac in stock and they ship for free and no sales tax. (As long as you're not a resident of NY or NJ)

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If you're willing to accept an Apple refurb and the 395, there seem to be a few places that have a bunch of the iMac 27" 5k (2tb fusion, 395) in the $1,630 price range. These are represented as factory refurbs with the 1-year Apple warranty.

Almost looks as if Apple if using several online outlets through which to "move out" large amounts of older stock...

4. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'd go for the refreshed version if Apple releases it in the next few weeks. It seems like they tend to update the iMacs towards the end of the year so I don't know if we'll see any changes in the next month (I hope so). I've considered the 395. I'll be using the machine to edit 4K drone videos so the 395X might be better for that. I currently have a thread going to figure that out.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I think you're going to be waiting much more than "the next few weeks" before you see a refreshed iMac product line… ;)

6. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I ended up finding a listing in the refurbished section that was almost what I was looking for. The only difference was it had 16GB RAM instead of 8. I quickly grabbed my wallet when I saw it! Saved $250.00 off what I planed on spending plus I got more RAM. Happy camper!!!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member