5K iMac display difference with 4k monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by curtoise, Oct 21, 2014.

1. curtoise macrumors 6502a

Currently I'm working with 15'' rMBP and I have attached via Display Port an ASUS PB287Q 28-Inch Screen LED-Lit 4K Monitor at 3840x2160 HiDPI, everything looks "retina" to me.

I'm contemplating on getting the new 5k iMac but I wonder rid I'll notice the difference at all from 4k HiDPI to 5K, I assume that tit will look better as the ASUS is a $500 for the new affordable 4k monitors released this year and Apple screen will look better because the components are better?

I'm not sure about the color quality and the whites on the ASUS but it is not too bad, a big improvement from a non 4k monitors and everything is super sharp.

I'm trying to avoid spending $3000 on something that will look exactly the same.

I'll appreciate some guidance.

2. macmee Suspended

macmee

I have the same ASUS monitor. It's beautiful isn't it?

If you're a gamer you'll want to stay with the ASUS. It's a TN panel and has a very fast response time. The 5k iMac certainly wont have 1ms response time, and wont be great for gaming on.

On the flip side, you can bet that colour quality on the iMac will be MUCH richer than the ASUS, as it's IPS.

I can certainly notice the better colours on my rMBP vs the ASUS panel you're talking about. I can only imagine that the iMac will have just as nice colours on its own display. So if you're not a gamer then you'll notice better colours on the 5k iMac for sure.

Hope that helps. I myself am getting the 5k iMac, but I can't return thhe 4k ASUS monitor since it's been more than 30 days :(

3. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have until the end of the month to return the monitor and get the $600 back, the monitor is not bad at all, I do game but mostly in consoles, I do some gaming on Mac like Bioshock, Portal etc and those games are handled very well by a the rMBP and the ASUS at full hd or better.
    Primarily I use the machine for coding, css, lightroom, and light Photoshop.

I do spend about 10-12 hours looking at the screen and that is the only reason I'm contemplating the 5k iMac, but I wonder if the color accuracy and the improved components-screen will be worth $3000

4. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

It will look a lot better as it's IPS and overall a higher quality panel. Also, you get more effective screen resolution at 1440p vs. 1080p in best for retina mode.

5. curtoise, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I understand the difference from IPS and TN as I used to have a Thunderbolt Display but the ASUS is currently running at beautiful 3840 x 2160 in HiDPI (Best for display setting) without scaling in full 4k retina glory.

I'm just afraid of spend $3000 on a screen that will look very similar. I'll like the addon desktop computer idea but it's a lot of money for a very little improvement on a display for a daily use, coding (a lot), design, mail, etc.

All the early reviews go crazy about the screen but I cannot find a review that will compare this new screen to a 2014 4k monitor to see retina by retina how much difference you'll actually see or because IPS panel have better color accuracy and Apple is using higher quality components and tech the display is actually mind blowing.

I usually buy new apple stuff without too much hesitation but because I have this ASUS 4k monitor and the steep price of $3000 for the iMac is holding me from pulling the trigger.