Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Curiosity question: When under normal use (i.e. just turned on, not doing any heavy processing) is the retina iMac with SSD supposed to be *dead* quiet?

See, I was thinking that once I went all solid state, the only fan necessary in the thing is to cool the processor when it's under load, and yet, I hear a fan whirring away in there the minute I turn it on, and I'm not sure if I need to adjust my expectations, or there's an issue.

To be sure, it's a lot quieter than any other computer I've ever used, but in my quiet office, I can definitely hear a fan on all the time, even when it's just sitting there with the screen blanked, doing nothing.

Someone tell me I'm being silly so I stop contemplating I need to return it. :confused:

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
It is not completely silent. In a quiet environment you will hear the fan spinning.

That said, it should be very quiet. It's difficult to say if it is at a normal level or not since such observations are very subjective.
But it could be a faulty fan. It could also be a software issue that makes it spin faster than it normally should.

Did you check your CPU usage so that there is no unusual activity? Could you perhaps download smcFanControl to see which speed your fan is running at?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
… and yet, I hear a fan whirring away in there the minute I turn it on, and I'm not sure if I need to adjust my expectations, or there's an issue.

To be sure, it's a lot quieter than any other computer I've ever used, but in my quiet office, I can definitely hear a fan on all the time, even when it's just sitting there with the screen blanked, doing nothing.

Someone tell me I'm being silly so I stop contemplating I need to return it. :confused:

OK, you are being silly. :D
The fan is always running, but is normally low flow/speed/noise - but will still be there.

Get used to it.

You may find that you no longer notice even that mild whir after a few days.
Just about any other background noise will likely mask that completely, so turn up the music a notch or two in your office, eh?

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Quietness was one of the top things on my list of must have. I have not had the fan go above the default 1200 RPM in the 3 weeks I have had it. Except by my own doing for testing purposes. I do not do anything that would strain the computer in any way 99% of the time.

This is one seriously quiet computer and I am about as fussy about that as a person can be. Friends have all stopped talking to me as they think I am crazy. And I am. Crazy for a darn near silent computer!

My dad has a nMPro. Lord that is a well designed and quiet computer. I hear a pleasant soft noise, but only when I actually stick my ear into the computer. I may get one of those eventually, but not becasue my iMac is too loud. Just because I like that computer :)

BTW I use iStat to track fan RPM and temps. All is good.

I bet you will come to enjoy your computer completely. It truly is way way ahead of anything else out there. Kudos, Apple.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
OK, you are being silly. :D

How do you know that? The fan might be noisier than normal on that unit. It's well worth investigating if that's the case.

You know for hyper sensitive people it's not just a matter of "turning up the music". In fact, that would probably only make things worse.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Did you check your CPU usage so that there is no unusual activity? Could you perhaps download smcFanControl to see which speed your fan is running at?

Thank you to all of you for your feedback. It looks like I'm *probably* being silly. That said, I have not checked for unusual activity. I can do that this evening when I get home from work. I've only just unboxed it, so it's running pretty clean. I'd be surprized if there's anything on there that'd create unusual activity, but I guess I could check.

I certainly hear something sitting well away from the screen (like, 2-2.5 feet).

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Thank you to all of you for your feedback. It looks like I'm *probably* being silly. That said, I have not checked for unusual activity. I can do that this evening when I get home from work. I've only just unboxed it, so it's running pretty clean. I'd be surprized if there's anything on there that'd create unusual activity, but I guess I could check.

I certainly hear something sitting well away from the screen (like, 2-2.5 feet).

Spotlight might be indexing your drive if you have just unboxed it.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
It could easily be some sort of software snafu. Check the RPM's. They should be at 1200. If so, and there is still loud noise, could still be a bad fan.

Mine is so quiet that if you kept me 2 feet away and told me it had NO fan, I would believe you :)

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007

I have the same issue at 1200 fan level. It's unusually loud, I had a retina MacBook Pro for some time and it was totally quiet ...

I think we both need to get our retina iMacs exchanged

Edit:
To be precise: the fan of my retina iMac sounds like it is rattling at 1200

Seramir

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2006
If you want a dead silent iMac, the 2013 ones are the ones to buy. You cannot hear the fan at all, period. I put my ear against the case and I can't hear anything. :eek:

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013

Yes, you're going to hear something if your hearing is normal and there are no other ambient noises. Once there's a TV on, the furnace is running, music is on in the background, you don't hear it, but unless you hear some weird bearing issue with the fan, hearing a touch of fan noise in a completely quiet room is normal.

sven gali

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2014
Curiosity question: When under normal use (i.e. just turned on, not doing any heavy processing) is the retina iMac with SSD supposed to be *dead* quiet?

Can you share which iMac spec this is (i5 or i7, upgraded video card?). I'm also curious about this stuff...

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
No one has mentioned a word about what system specs they have. That's important!

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
No one has mentioned a word about what system specs they have. That's important!

True dat! I have the i5 with the 295x with 512SSD. I specifically chose that setup for noise, temp, and speed! I am very happy with it. And I would have sent it back immediately if there was even a hint of noise.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
True dat! I have the i5 with the 295x with 512SSD. I specifically chose that setup for noise, temp, and speed! I am very happy with it. And I would have sent it back immediately if there was even a hint of noise.

You and I have exactly the same machine. i5, upgraded video card, 512G SSD.

I installed smcFanControl and it says the main fan is running between 1195 and 1205rpm.

I can hear a fan, that's certain. It doesn't sound like a *bad* fan (i.e. no rattling or anything odd... just sounds like fan noise) but it's there. I think I am probably being picky. It's true--the minute theres any other noise, I can no longer hear it. But in my quiet office, it's there.

Ah well. Someday Apple will make a dead silent device that runs OS X. :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Fanless Retina MBA. And I know I'll want one so bad. :D

BTW, put an SSD in an iBook Clamshell and it's dead silent on OS X Tiger ;) Or a G4 Cube, can't believe I forgot to mention the Cube.

Last edited:

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
You and I have exactly the same machine. i5, upgraded video card, 512G SSD.

I installed smcFanControl and it says the main fan is running between 1195 and 1205rpm.

I can hear a fan, that's certain. It doesn't sound like a *bad* fan (i.e. no rattling or anything odd... just sounds like fan noise) but it's there. I think I am probably being picky. It's true--the minute theres any other noise, I can no longer hear it. But in my quiet office, it's there.

Mac Pro is very quiet. That is what I was going to get if the imac was too loud. The cooling fan on that bad boy is seriously engineered for quality.

CasablancaDR

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2014
Paris, France
Mac Pro is very quiet. That is what I was going to get if the imac was too loud. The cooling fan on that bad boy is seriously engineered for quality.

I used to have a 2013 Mac Pro and I should say that I've read everywhere about how silent it is. Well, to me, it was not that silent. In a quiet room, my office for example, I could hear it at normal use. It was very soft but it was there. And If I played a game in Bootcamp like XCOM which is not a demanding game, you could hear a strong swoosh coming out from the "tube". It did not bother me at all. But clearly, the Mac Pro was not dead silent in my case.

A friend already own a RiMac maxed out (mine is under way) and it's as silent as a Mac Pro in normal use. It is only louder when pushing hard.

Last edited:

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I used to have a 2013 Mac Pro and I should say that I've read everywhere about how silent it is. Well, to me, it was not that silent. In a quiet room, my office for example, I could hear it at normal use. It was very soft but it was there. And If I played a game in Bootcamp like XCOM which is not a demanding game, you could hear a strong swoosh coming out from the "tube". It did not bother me at all. But clearly, the Mac Pro was not dead silent in my case.

A friend already own a RiMac maxed out (mine is under way) and it's as silent as a Mac Pro in normal use. It is only louder when pushing hard.

Notice I did not say it was silent. I said it was very quiet. And at least for me, the little noise it does make is almost calming compared to the usual anxiety producing fan noise of most computers.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
If you want a dead silent iMac, the 2013 ones are the ones to buy. You cannot hear the fan at all, period. I put my ear against the case and I can't hear anything. :eek:

See your GP.

standard-ear-drops.png

Or maybe the fan is broken I guess.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Fanless Retina MBA. And I know I'll want one so bad. :D

BTW, put an SSD in an iBook Clamshell and it's dead silent on OS X Tiger ;) Or a G4 Cube, can't believe I forgot to mention the Cube.

I found a solution to my problem... I'll just use the old iMac as a second display--the drive on it will always spin and the fan always work, and it'll drown out any sound from the RiMac. And hey, more screen real estate!

Win! :D

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
If you can hear your iMac in your office, then all I can say is, you need to be more busy :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.