5K iMac Support Second Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mashinhead, Nov 10, 2014.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I was looking at the iFix it tear down for the iMac and it seems to have a separate space for the SSD and the HDD. If you were to order one with an SSD only, could you not also install a second HDD?

Has anyone done this or know if it's possible?

2. thagomizer macrumors 6502

The pre-Retina iMacs expect an Apple firmware-controlled sensor on the hard drive which, if not present, causes the fans to run at full blast. This is why people replacing the stock Apple HD with have a rude surprise after powering on their iMac.

I'm not sure what happens if the iMac never had an HD to begin with. It would be interesting to know if this is still a problem on the riMac.

In any case, you may need to take some steps after adding a drive:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4986417?tstart=0

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes in the hybrid drive configurations there is a HDD there. You could convert your SSD-only iMac to hybrid drive with this slot.

4. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

To be clear, adding the spinning disc does not magically create a Fusion drive. You'd have to actively choose to combine the two. (And you can separate them on a fusion drive machine if you want to - I'd have done this if I could have ordered a larger SSD with the internal spinning drive.)

----------

Also, this kit should solve the sensor issues, although I believe that you will still need to source the bracketry.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD12/

In reality, unless the drive *has* to be internal, it's easier and more sensible (and marginally cheaper) to just connect a drive via Thunderbolt. For that matter, USB3 is fully capable of maxing out a drive. You just have to tolerate the USB drive hardware, which tends not to be very good.

5. mac.rumors macrumors regular

I just added a 512GB Samsung 850 PRO to my 256GB flash drive-only i7 R9-M295X 5K iMac 27-inch. The 3.5 inch HDD brackets are already present and I purchased part# 923-0519, CBL,HDD,COMBO,LOCK,27" IMAC from applecomponents.com.

The fan runs at a constant 1197 to 1206 rpm. I have had it only for a few days but have never heard it rev up so far. The temps have also been normal so far.

Thanks!

6. happyhacking macrumors member

Brackets/frames for hdd already on ssd only imac 5k ?

Dude, i already ordered an iMac 5k i7 R9-M295X with and 1TB ssd option, do you mean that there are the brackets for hdd inside the imac, even if it is ssd only ? just the sata/power cable was needed from apple components ? Thanx

7. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Not true starting with the late 2012 iMac, the "slim" one.

But 100% true for all models before that.

8. mac.rumors macrumors regular

Yes, that is correct. I just needed the cable. The two side-brackets for a 3.5 inch size HDD are already present inside.

9. happyhacking macrumors member

Thanx

Thanx im planning on adding a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB to raid-0 with factory ssd from apple, and with your advice i'll only get the sata/power cable, again thanx for your prompt answer. XD

10. mac.rumors macrumors regular

No problem. Good luck with the 'surgery'! Do let us know how it goes.

Thx.