5k iMac thought and comments

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The Doctor11, Aug 13, 2015.

1. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Hello all! I've been saving up for my first Mac (5k iMac) for a while now. Trying to use this thread to pass some time as it'll be at least a month before I can afford the Mac. Please post any comments or thoughts you have on your 5k iMac, what configuration you got, problems you had, what you use it for ect. Pretty much just interested in your experiences with the 5k iMac.

I plan to get the base line $1999 5k but if I can I'll get the $2299 one with quad core 3.5 ghz processor and 1tb fusion drive. I would also like to wait and see if there is a Mac refresh in September as if I could get a USB-C port on it and maybe skylake that'd be nice but I'm not too concerned about either of those.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well you'll want to wait for october as it's looking fairly likely we'll get an updated iMac then. It's also pretty certain that there'll be a 4K 21.5 inch iMac if the smaller cheaper one is more suitable but you wanted a retina screen.

I would also say that any sort of SSD (fusion counts) is pretty much a must to get the best out of your computer these days, I wouldn't spend any more than $700 on any computer without one (and even then the first thing I'd do is put on in).

3. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

October is just so far away! And your right fusion would be well worth the money, but I'm working a summer job at a water park so let's just hope I make enough money for the fusion before the season ends.

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Ah, the impatience of youth. As I type this it is August 14th, the middle of October is two months or approximately 8 weeks away. That's no time at all

5. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

8 weeks feels like forever :eek:

6. fathergll macrumors 6502a

It's been out for 10 months already. Why on earth wouldn't you wait and save up more? Unless your planning on starting a photography business with the next couple months and need that iMac now

7. Liffey macrumors regular

Seriously just wait. You already have to wait til September. Then it will be just one more month. Think how bad you'll feel when you order your iMac, and a new one is announced weeks or less after you receive it.

8. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

Break it down to a few parts and questions.

I can understand buying the 5K for the screen. That is the reason that I got this one over the cheeper 2013 27" iMac that has since been discon.

The speed improvement of the base model vs the 3.5gHz i5 is nice, but the added push you get from the faster video and the choice between a fusion or a 256ssd, I would clearly wait and save for the extra cash to get the better unit.

Now for the real questions? What does this USB-C port give you that is a must to have? I know it's cool and it does give a whole load of potential that will take a few years to be realized. They seem to be touting this new USB-C as the answer to everything, but how long is it going to take to be defacto standard?

Everyone of us that just bought thier 5K iMac are not just going to toss them out as we don't have the right USB port. So manufacturers of periferals have got to look into the ROI for supporting a port that right now has < 2% market adoption. Unless it becomes the only port from this point onwards on all computers, then I hate to say it, but USB3 will be standard for quite some time to come.. (ie, the next 3-4 years until most consumers have moved to new computers)

Take a look at Thunderbolt. it is a far better interface but is not widely available and costs a premium for those devices that do support it.

Sure it's great to get a newer machine seeing as it's likely 8-10 weeks away, but I would not hold my breath to say it's going to be just that much better than what is currently out.

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Also please remember to budget for sales tax, the cost of an external HD to use as a backup drive and finally it is EXTREMELY wise to get AppleCare however you can buy AppleCare anytime within the first year of ownership. The bare minimums
    • The iMac itself
    • Sales Tax (if your area charges it)
    • External HD.

We get that you can't wait but don't buy the absolute bare minimum, be responsible and get what you really need.

10. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Like I said in not to concerned about USB-C but if I can get a little more future proofing it won't hurt.

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

@The Doctor11 I suggest you go with a refurb instead of buying new. The base model late 2014 should be fine.

12. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

There's a good deal to be saved buying a refurb...

13. AlifTheUnseen macrumors member

AlifTheUnseen