5k iMac with vesa mount available

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theSeb, Oct 21, 2014.

1. theSeb, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't know if anyone has realised this, because I have not seen it mentioned anywhere, but you can buy a 5K iMac with a VESA mount for $40 more than the normal 5K iMac

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac-retina-vesa

2. esphil macrumors member

3. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

I ordered one, it's great for me but it makes resale tough.

[​IMG]

4. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Me too. Still don't get why it's $40 more expensive, though (and I also don't get why it can't be interchangeable with the stand)

5. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

It's really, really irritating.

Or Apple could at least provide a VESA stand, which would be quite a lot less annoying.

Of course, it would also be nice if they were a little less stingy with the storage options. I would have really liked to get a 6TB platter drive alongside the 512GB SSD. I don't want a fusion drive. A large local storage drive will do just fine.

6. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

They used to before the 2013 iMac redesign and have now realised that people actually want this. It is irritating, I agree, but at least we can get a 27" iMac with a VESA mount again.

7. rkaufmann87, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The stands are attached to the inside of the iMac's case making it impossible to have a user attachable stand or VESA Mount or the ability to retrofit one for the other. As stated on models prior to 2012 when Apple introduced the super narrow iMacs a user upgradeable VESA mount was possible, sometimes changes are not always convenient.

8. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

I'm not at convinced that the narrow iMacs made it impossible to have an easily user installable VESA mount.

I will say, though, that I'm somewhat mollified to see that it is *possible* to swap. I'm not likely to want to until the machine is out of AppleCare, but having some flexibility when it's time to retire the machine from primary duty is appreciated. My current 27" will be getting the VESA mount taken off once the new machine arrives.

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You would be if you took one apart. This has been known for about 2 years, ever since the 2012 27" iMacs were released.

10. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

I suspect that the "vesa mount iMac" has a different outer casing and the stand on the normal iMac cannot be taken off and made into a "vesa mount iMac", like we could back in the "dark ages".

11. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I know. What I'm saying is that I don't get why they HAD to do this, from an engineering standpoint. They could have designed it so the stand could be removed. Vesa is basically 4 screw holes and some reinforcement. They've done feats of engineering much more impressive than that.

And it being $40 more makes no freaking sense.

12. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Yes, the design decision has been known since 2012, and I followed the outcry that eventually resulted in VESA iMacs appearing (or VESA Macs just appeared at a later date as planned, but not explained).

But, again, I am not convinced that it could not have been accommodated easily if Apple had *cared to do so.* As things are currently set? Obviously not.

Edit: To clarify, I am not convinced that the form factor makes it physically impossible to have an easily user replaceable mount. It's clearly been a design/value engineering decision.

13. McTaste macrumors regular

McTaste

I've got the regular riMac on order...do I cancel and get the VESA mount version, assuming I can get a third party stand later if I end up not using my VESA arm?

Decisions, decisions...

14. McTaste macrumors regular

McTaste

15. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

5k iMac with vesa mount available

I bought a VESA plate for my 08 imac. It was not a bed of roses. Besides the cost, install was a pain, with like 10 tiny screws and procedure that pulls the hinge through the slot. Years later, I put the stand back on and the spring that provides tension to the hinge was all stretched out. Ever since, the foot can't hold the chin up and the iMacs body sags on the desk.

Would have been better to drill 4 holes in the foot.

16. kwijbo, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

kwijbo macrumors regular

Exactly! :confused:

The extra $40 when the regular stand is no longer included just feels like nickel-and-diming.