5K Monitor Plus Two 2K Monitors with 2016 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarketingGuy, Nov 25, 2016.

1. MarketingGuy macrumors member

The Apple website states that the new 15" MacBook Pro supports four 4K monitors or two 5K monitors. I was wondering if anyone had inquired about using the new LG UltraFine 5K as the main monitor with two of the LG UltraFine 4Ks as side monitors. I was thinking about using that setup on a curved monitor mount.

I asked 3 different Apple Store employees on my latest visit -- they didn't have a clue. To be fair, when I mentioned that the default screen scaling is different on the new MacBook Pros, one chimed in that "it's because the screen is brighter" and another corrected her by stating that "it's a wider aspect ratio" so clearly they don't know what they are talking about.

2. ManuCH macrumors 6502

In theory it should work. A 5K monitor counts as 2 monitors, and the 4K monitors count as 1 each. Makes 4 in total, so it should be supported. Never tried though (mainly because the 5K doesn't exist yet :))

3. MarketingGuy thread starter macrumors member

Thank you -- that's what I thought. I calculated the total number of pixels and it seemed to be in-between the two max points:
    • 4x 4K = 37.7M pixels
    • 2x 5K = 29.5M pixels
    • 1x 5K + 2x 4K = 33.6M pixels
    Of course, since it's Apple, they don't always follow logic lol

4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

15" can support a total of 6 4k screens including its own. so it can actually power 1 x 5k, 3 x 4k and its own display.

5. MarketingGuy thread starter macrumors member

Where did you get that information? Not saying it's wrong, just curious. On the Apple website (http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/) it seems to indicate up to 2 5K displays or up to 4 4K displays in addition to the one built in.

Either way, I'm trying to get clarification from Apple on my configuration. Apple has been known to arbitrarily limit logical configurations. So far, my web chat and visit to the Apple store haven't provided me with any answers (employees seems completely clueless). Actually, I'm starting to really worry about the overall Apple experience, including the quality of hiring / training -- but, that's a topic for a different thread.

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Scroll down to read the quote.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/14/late-2016-mbp-amd-gpus-support-dual-5k-displays/

7. MarketingGuy thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. I guess the limit listed on the Apple website to four 4K displays is the number of ports.

8. w0rd3r macrumors regular

w0rd3r

9. MarketingGuy thread starter macrumors member