5K Retina iMac HD question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by swamyg1, Jan 24, 2016.

1. swamyg1, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

swamyg1 macrumors regular

i have a spare 1tb PCI-SSD blade from an new Mac Pro purchase and would like to use it in a new late 2015 Retina iMac. I was considering getting a 1tb Fusion Drive and using my Blade as the primary HD, but I don't know if it's possible.I've looked at guides about upgrading the Fusion Drive but not about upgrading the PCI-SSD hardware and using it for the OS. Or maybe I purchase the 256gb SSD instead of the fusion drive? I'm fine with either the fusion HD or SSD, but my primary question revolves around using my spare 1tb PCI-SSD as the primary partition.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

In theory it should just slot in in place of the existing SSD, look it up on iFixit.com for all your Mac upgrade and repair guides.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iMac is not a computer that I would recommend you open up. Have you looked at what it times to crack that open?

Are you sure the Mac Pro uses the exact same type of SSD as the late 2015 iMac?

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Completely agree. Get an external enclosure for it. Something like http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/ You can boot from it and probably won't notice any speed difference. But you shouldn't get the 1TB fusion. Just get the 2TB for the extra NVRAM or the 256GB NVRAM model.

5. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Here is a guide to open up that computer. As others have said, you probably shouldn't. The SSD might not even be the same one, and it looks pretty hairy to replace it. Get an external USB3 enclosure (or even Thunderbolt 2 for way more money) and use any standard 2.5" SSD.