5K serial number -- refurb or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spamdumpster, Aug 19, 2008.

1. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I've searched but read conflicting posts. Is this a refurb or not? Genius told me that the white box iPhones were brand new, just packaged that way as replacements. Serial number starts with 5k832. I know that it was produced in week 32 of 2008. Does 5K mean (1) refurb, (2) new replacement phone, or (3) replacement phone, could be new or could be refurb?

If the Genius told me I was getting a new phone when, in fact, I wasn't, I'm going to be really pissed.

Also, I assume that they change the serial number, so can I even assume that the phone is really week 32? Maybe it was just refurbed in week 32?

I want answers dammit.

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

ALL REPLACEMENT PHONES ARE NEW
    the genius says so, and he can't say that if its a refurb.

maybe in 6 months or so people will be getting refurbs, but they havn't had enough time to crank out refurbs yet

if your really concerned, then next time you get a replacement, demand a NIB phone

3. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

If its over 30 days , the refurbished is the norm, or depending on who you talk to at the Apple store. Also if the phone appears to be brand new and its working whats the big deal of whether or not its a refurb?

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes 5K is a refurb just as they were last year. They are already in stores and have been since about two weeks ago. A friend I work with got a 3g white two weeks ago that has the 5K serial number.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Here is a screen cap from the about screen of a refurb:

I didn't blank out the whole number because the serial number won't do anyone any good without the phone in their possession.

Attached Files:

6. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Just had my white 3g replaced last week. Was having a volume issue. I to was given a replacement that came out of the "plain white box," however the serial # did not begin with the 5K. I asked the genius at the time if this was a refurb. His reply is that it could be but most likely not since the phone had only been out about a month.

7. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I replaced my 16gb Black last Wednesday. It looks like my replacement is a week 31.. but I'm not entirely sure how to tell (83831.....). The serial does not begin with 5K. The genius pulled it out of a "White Box" but assured me that it was new (the only difference being the packaging and extra goodies).

My replacement has worked great. I really have no complaints. Also, I replaced my original iPhone (2.5G) numerous times with refurbs as replacements. Every time the replacement functioned as new and I wouldn't have been able to tell if not for the genius letting me know.

Too add to that, I'm a proud owner of a refurb SR MBP 2.4GHz as well. I would trust Apple refurbs as much as I would their new products after my experiences with them.

~E

8. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course, you're right about this. I just hate to be lied to (if that was the case) by the so-called genius. Plus, I guess there could be some resale implications for a refurb vs. a non-refurb (if the buyer checked the serial).

9. Socom macrumors newbie

I am not really sure this is a winning argument. The fact you have 3 different Apple products and all of them have needed to be replaced, in some cases multiple times does not make me feel better.

I am guessing this is because they both fail the same amount? :)

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

don't be afraid of apple refurbs, they're great.

not to mention, one could make the argument that having a second pair of eyes inspecting a 3G could actually be a pretty good thing. the QC on a refurb might just surpass one from the factory.

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Don't get your hopes up too high that the Apple elves are scrutinizing every item before deeming them "refurb worthy". I bought a refurb ipod mini a while back and it arrive DOA with a sad ipod icon. Had the Apple elves turned the thing on, they would easily see that it was broken. The next one they sent was fine.

I'm not saying that all Apple refurbs are bad, but don't expect any better quality control than you'd expect for brand new items. They really aren't looking that closely.

12. Socom macrumors newbie

Lol, that sums it up.. never trust the Apple Elves! :)

13. MLO macrumors member

Refurb

After spending any amount of money on an Apple product, I would be pretty pissed getting a refurb anything.

I had my phone swapped out about a week after July 11 and it was in that unmarked white box. I was told these were new and Apple sends them only for swap outs. I would assume refurbs will be circulating soon.

After seeing this post, I checked my serial number and it starts with 888 and I am happy to say, it was a new iphone.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I just found out that apparantly, Apple this year is using the 5K serial number for new 3G phones as well. Unlike last year, the 5K serial number isn't used to indicate a refurb phone.

15. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Source? If this is true, it's good news.

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

17. cubedweller macrumors 6502

My argument is just fine. :) I bought the MBP as a refurb and saved a bunch of money. My original iPhone was perfect -- one time I broke it (headphones got ripped out on accident and it shredded the inside of the headphone jack -- apple replaced it for free), second time just because, "I could." I saw how easy it was to get a brand new shiny phone so after I used it for a few months I returned it and got another one (I complained about something insginificant.)

The iPhone 3G is the ONLY Apple product that I've returned because it was defective to start with.

So as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't hesitate to buy any products refurbished by Apple.

~E

18. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yeah a referb is the same as new on the outside whats the big deal for the iPhone. On a computer i can understand but not for a Phone

19. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I exchanged an original iphone that I bought from craigslist because it was dropping a lot of calls. They gave me a refurb which works way better than the old one.

20. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is good news. Logically of course, it doesn't mean that 5K serial numbers also aren't being used for refurbs.

21. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

Here's a little story about refurbs...

i'm on my 4th 2.5G iPhone
    The original one i bought, and its replacement (which was a 5K refurb) both died within 1 month of each other. They would not boot past the apple screen.

So i go to get another replacement, another refurb - iPhone #3. Get it home and realize its got a small line of pixels out at the very bottom, didn't even notice it in the store. ugh! Figure i can suck it up as the Apple Store is on the other side of town, well i made it two and a half weeks until the line of dead pixels turned into two lines and got bigger and bigger. Took the 3rd iPhone in for another replacement this last Tuesday, they gave me another refurb... iPhone #4, but its been great so far.

I don't have an opinion against refurbs. And when you buy a new apple product, it says in the documentation that if service is needed, refurbished parts and/or replacements may be used. So be educated consumers!
    But refurbs are great when you buy one, I like to save money.
    In fact, half the macs in our house are refurbished and sometimes you get a great bonus with refurb (like how my girlfriend got an iMac full of maxed out ram when all we paid for was 1GB),
    Or in this weeks instance, i went ahead and bought the iPhone Applecare seeing as how i've owned it 10 months now and have had SUCH GREAT LUCK with the iPhone. Well they just put it through for expiring in Aug 2010, as its connected to the refurb (aka iPhone #4) serial. So i get roughly 10 free months of... you guessed it.... hardware warranty! That means more replacments if something goes wrong again. Maybe i'll make it to iPhone #10 by August 2010. ;):)

I really can't be pissed at Apple, yea its annoying when your phone just stops working. But with every other phone on the market you gotta deal with "insurance" and claims and all that other crap, having to drop another $150 for a junk phone each year, no i don't miss that at all. I just take it to the AppleStore and they give me another one. So at least their warranty/service makes up for hardware issues that do arise. And now, by some stroke of luck, i am covered for another 24 months!

22. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Well, he only said, "Actually, no it doesn't, even new ones can start with 5K," without giving you any more details about how they now distinguish refurbs from new units. I'd imagine they still have a way to identify refurb units by looking at their serial numbers. I'd be curious to know what that is.