5K+thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Antipode2012, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Antipode2012 macrumors newbie

I need some advice. I'm thinking of upgrading my setup.

I currently have one of the early MacBook Pro Retinas, and I use it with a thunderbolt display. I mostly use lightroom and the usual office bits and pieces, and sometimes audio editing, and occasionally Final Cut Pro. I find the MBPro pretty good for all this, but in a few years I'm sure it will feel the strain.

I have an opportunity for work to buy me something new (or subsidise a couple of thousand dollars of it). Do I go for a new 5k iMac? Will I be able to run my existing display off this? Or will that be too much for the iMac's graphics capability? I'd like to have lightroom etc running on two screens. I need the new setup to be as future-proof as possible.

Thanks!
    Michael

2. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

I'm sure it'll work as you can run 2 Thunderbolt Displays off of a MacBook Air. I'm going to be running my Retina iMac with a Thunderbolt Display and a 27" Cinema Display. I will update you once I get the iMac in.

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

If you have some time, I'd wait to read other peoples experiences with hooking up an external display. But if it's primarily photo work, the new iMac should be able to handle it fine. With that said though, I'd highly recommend getting the upgraded cpu and gnu if you plan on getting this rather soon.:apple:

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

New iMac can drive another 4K display off of it. Unknown at what refresh rate however.

5. shiibbyy macrumors regular

nice signature...either youre lying about the apple products you have, youre rich, or you just dont care about credit card debt... nice stuff tho :D

6. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

You have to be rich to have $7000 worth of Apple products? People have more than that in one Mac Pro..

7. Radiating macrumors 65816

Yeah he could probably get them for $4500 if he really scoured the used market too.

Real rich people would have gold plated apple products worth $50,000 each.

8. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I'm a developer who writes apps, so its a business expense. And I spend most of my money on electronics and rarely, if ever, go on fancy vacations.

9. Serban Suspended

iPad Air 2....when you will get it?
    and the 5k imac when?

10. macmee Suspended

macmee

Surly a 60Hz refresh rate assuming you're sporting DP 1.2 on your external 4k? The current Macbook Retina with the dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB can do a 1080, 4k and its own retina monitor all at 60Hz. Is it too much to assume the 5k iMac with its better graphics card can do 5k and 4k at 60Hz?

For software development, video conferencing and paperwork management, I actually think the products he have are a decent investment, albeit slightly overkill. But everyone has their hobbies, right? :p

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It's not unknown. The apple support pages state that it will run one 4k monitor at 60 Hz

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht6008