5kbps 3g speeds on my iPhone, 900kbps on another in same area

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mortagon, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Mortagon macrumors member

I really don't understand whats going wrong. I've had my iPhone 3g for around two weeks now. The first week in speed tests using iNetwork Test I was getting a solid 800kbps-1000kbps all the time in my area. Then suddenly over the last 3 days (before upgrading to 2.0.2) my speeds plummeted to anywhere between 5kbps to 20kbps and its been like that for days. However, on 3g I still have full bars for phone reception. When I switch to Edge I've got 200kbps and also full phone reception.

However, my girlfriend just got an iPhone and upon testing her 3g connection with iNetwork Test her 3g is a solid 900kbps. Something must be going wrong. Is there any way to fix this problem with my 3g?

2. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Reboot...that's the best i can suggest. Perhaps your phone thinks its on 3G but is really on edge...

3. Mortagon thread starter macrumors member

I've tried rebooting several times, and waiting 20 seconds before turning it back on after turning it off. This has had no effect. AT&T Wireless has said that there are no data shortage problems in the area as well.

4. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Take it back to apple then with the other phone and show them the side by side. They'll swap it out...