5s & 5c Verizon GSM CDMA for international use, no contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by celo48, Oct 8, 2013.

1. celo48 macrumors 6502a

Can you buy an unlocked Verizon 5s and/or 5c with no contract and use only GSM overseas?

2. howthegodschill macrumors newbie

howthegodschill

Correct. You can even use it unlocked in the states, but from what I understand you won't get 4G/LTE.

3. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. Wha t id the freq for 4g/lte here? Do you know? I am on the go thats why hard to look it up for me.

4. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I have a Verizon 5c and was at Best Buy the other day. A guy there wanted to test his AT&T sim, so we put it in. Showed full service and LTE.

5. Jiftyrealm macrumors newbie

That's partially incorrect. The phone will be fully unlocked for use in the US (except for Sprint) and you will be able to pickup LTE on AT&T and T-Mobile.

6. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where do you buy no contract Verizon unlcoked iphone 5s? Retail has them?

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Unlocked is unlocked. The inability to use it with Sprint has nothing to do with locks. Sprint won't activate it. By law, Verizon is required to not lock the device at all due to their purchase of the 700Mhz spectrum.

8. howthegodschill macrumors newbie

howthegodschill

Well that's good to know. I forgot where I'd heard that the LTE wouldn't work, but I'm actually glad it turned out to not be true. That little tidbit should up the resale value come iPhone 6 time.

9. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pls correct me if i am wrong. You cannot buy unlocked/no contract free Verizon 5s from Apple.com. It must be from Verizon.

10. IBJanky macrumors member

I just picked up a Verizon 16GB iPhone 5S last night from the local Apple store and paid the full price of $649.

I went home and the first thing I did was insert my Straight Talk sim card and restored it. Works great.

Needless to say, it was UNLOCKED right out of the box.

11. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Best Buy for most of us, Apple stores for the few that have one. Maybe other places?

Don't know that Verizon will sell them.

12. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which store? Thx.

----------

Verizon says none in stock. Best Buy need to check.

----------

Best Buy sells them for $699?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-i...id=1219063235291&skuId=1751837&contract_desc=

13. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Verizon retail will not sell an iPhone without activating an account.

----------

If I buy a Verizon iPhone subsidized how long do I have to wait to cancel the account and what are the fees?

Is buying it subsidized plus cancellation fees cheaper than buying it device only full priced?

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you want the Verizon iPhone you'll have to activate an account, purchase subsidized, and just cancel it later and pay the ETF ($350) later. They won't sell you one without an account.

15. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Would I be able to use my verizon 5s in France with a prepaid SIM card? With lte?

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Check here, and compare the bands and carriers. If the bands match the phone and the carrier supports it, you should be good. Otherwise, no.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

BL.

17. Gincoma macrumors 6502

So I can cancel my Verizon Wireless contract and get Straight Talk? I have a Verizon iPhone 5s

18. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

To give heads up to people like me.

I purchased the Verizon 16gb grey from Best Buy. They have bunch of silver/white 32gb but no 16gb. Gold none. I got the last 16gb grey.

They sell them $50 over msrp but price matched Apple.

Yes, the phone works with my SIM card, no problem.

19. Jiftyrealm macrumors newbie

I said "...for use in the US (except for Sprint)" implying that the particular model the original poster is interested in will not work for Sprint.

20. riggatoney macrumors newbie

AT&T unlocked iphone 5c on vzw?

A coworker just payed ETF for his AT&T iphone 5c. He has offered to sell me it, im wondering if i can use it on verizon.

Right now I have a galaxy s3 and was going to cut the sim down but can't find any information on whether it will work.

21. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

The hardware would work fine as it's identical, but as I understand it, Verizon refuses to allow anything to work that's not a "Verizon" phone, which in this case means "an iPhone sold as a Verizon phone".

I bought a "Verizon" 5s to use on AT&T even though I have no intention of ever using Verizon just in case I ever needed to for some reason.

22. boondocks macrumors member