5S and Touch Sensor - Is it working properly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSponge, Oct 5, 2013.

1. TheSponge macrumors member

Just unboxed my 5S this evening, and after setting up the Touch ID sensor I am wondering is mine working as it should?

So the phone screen is locked - in order to unlock the phone. Is it supposed to work by me just putting my finger on the home button/sensor and it starting up by itself and unlocking? Or do I have to physically push the home button in?

Currently, I have to physically push the button in but then at times it won't unlock it but instead launches Siri.. Is there a certain way to push/press the Home button in to actually unlock it instead of launching Siri? Or a specific amount of time I am to hold my finger on the home button?

I've also encountered quite a few times where iOS 7 would crash on me and just go back to the home screen after being in Settings.. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

A search would of been a better option because it's been answered but yes, you need to push the home button in for it to "wake up". What's the point of the ring you ask? Well that's a lot of people's question. I hope some day they will be able to make it respond by simply placing your finger on the button (why have the ring the senses your touch if it's not used for that purpose right?) but alas that day has yet to arrive.

You don't have to hold it in.... Did you hold it in on previous iPhones when you wanted to open it up? Of course not so why should that change? Simply push in the home button like you always have and keep your finger resting on the sensor... easy peasy.

Of course others have experienced issues with iOS 7..... do you not read MR? Try a fresh install of iOS 7 and don't restore from back-up and see if that helps, good luck.

3. TheSponge thread starter macrumors member

Well I thought that the ring did detect the actual finger and unlock it.. That's why I posted my question. So why is my thing launching Siri then? Anyone else experience this?

4. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

The problem is you're pushing the button and holding it down. You need to just push it and then hold your finger to the sensor (not pressing it).

5. TheSponge thread starter macrumors member

So push down, then lift my finger and leave it laying on the button? But not actually pressing it down?

6. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I also thought the ring sensed your touch and opened..... would be much better if it worked that way. Hopefully some day apple will implement that options if it's even possible.

Yep.... not sure how/why that's so confusing.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If sleep mode then click home or power button and place finger on sensor. If screen is on then you don't need to click.

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Yes

9. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Quick press home button, rest your finger on the sensor. It's quite intuitive. The purpose of the ring is to verify that the object that pushed the home button is a (living) skin before carrying out the scanning process. all of which is happening within a fraction of a second. :)

If apple implemented what you are hoping for, Everytime a skin touches the touchID ring, your iPhone will turn on and do a scan which will fail and drain battery due to many failed attempts. You don't want that especially when it is in your pocket and your phone is facing your thighs. (capacitive touch sensors can still sense your skin over a thin layer of cloth).

10. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

You need to click it once. As if you would have clicked it before swiping to unlock. The click is to wake up the phone. After that the finger needs to stay on the bottom for just a moment to unlock.

Siri is coming up because you are holding the button.

11. TheSponge thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot guys this make much more sense now. I even searched a bit and found the Apple support doc stating how it actually works.

I was just under the impression that resting your finger on the button/ring while locked/screen off would activate the entire process without me having to physically click the button. thanks a lot!

quite the upgrade the 5S is from my 4. love the color and the case I picked up for it!

12. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yup. That's how it works.

13. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Yes, you do not need to remove your finger after pushing the button, just relax it enough to let off the button enough for it to come back up.