5S Apple Store Reservations/ Pickups?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MBX, Sep 23, 2013.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hi there

When the iPhone 5 launched there was a reservations feature on the Apple website to see if they were in stock at the local stores and one could place a reservation and pick it up.

But I can't find this feature for the 5S. Is this available this time at all?

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I don't think so. I called yesterday to get a Grey 32g for the AT&T, and was told I had to come down to the store to find out. Once there they had a person with cards for all the phones available. If the phone you wanted was available you got a card. You then stood in line for the next available clerk. It took me 30 minutes to get the clerk and my phone.

I only had to wait 30 minutes, they said earlier in the day the line was over 2 hours long.

I think once they settle down a bit you should be able to reserve over the phone, but right now the demand is still too high, and they are going fast.

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, I've seen that - looks like it was open for just a period of time. There's speculation it may reopen after stores open this morning but I have no thoughts about that.

When I was in-store yesterday after work picking up a phone I ordered for in-store pickup I talked about it with the employee who was helping me. He said they had shut down the order-for-in-store-pickup system that afternoon due to overwhelming demand clobbering the servers. That seemed odd to me, and of course the customer facing in-store employees are often the last to know know anything definitive, so take the above with a big grain of salt.

It was certainly nice being able to walk past 40+ people in line at 5:30pm and pick up the device with no wait. It also wasn't necessarily fair to those folks, so perhaps Apple's had a change of direction. Or perhaps what the guy said was right and the in-store pickup option is just temporarily closed and will return. Not everyone has the ability to go stand on line for hours due to work and family committments.

In the end it really doesn't matter though; after a few weeks nobody cares who had their phone on launch day, a week later, or a month after that.

5. CarolG macrumors member

CarolG

The feature was ON the Apple Store app last night. I read that it has been removed from the app now.

6. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I do! Because my other phone just died and I need the new one asap :)

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

You do realize my post was made on Monday while the web store was allowing orders for in-store pickup, right? It didn't change until several hours after my post. By that time I'd already ordered and picked up the 2nd phone for my account (for a family member who decided they wanted a 5s over the weekend)

8. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh