5S battery goes to 98% as soon as I take it off my charger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vistokid, Aug 6, 2014.

1. vistokid macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just switched from a 64GB 5S to a 16GB 5S over the weekend. The 16GB is brand new, never used etc. When I charge it, it charges to 100% but as soon as I pull it off the charger it goes to 98%.

I've owned every iteration of the iPhone and I've never had this happen to me.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do? I've tried to cycle the battery once already and it's still doing it.

Thanks

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Two possible answers:

1) If you kept it on the charger for a while after it turned 100% the battery will discharge itself and then recharge up. So there is a chance when you took it off it was in the process of recharging after it had discharged a few percentage points.

2) If you have haven't restarted the phone in a few days the battery meter gets a little screwy. So just restart the phone and it should go right back to 100%.

4. vistokid thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I actually did a reboot and the level went back to 100%, but then when I charged it last night and unplugged it this morning it went to 98% immediately. I'm also noticing the battery drains faster than my 64GB did. I'm going to keep monitoring it before booking a genius appointment. Hopefully it sorts itself out.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Just use your phone and stop worrying about that. If you get poor battery life during normal usage THEN there might be a problem. The battery meter isn't always accurate.

6. zippyzoom macrumors member

+1 correct

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

rejog the battery... go down till full 0% shutdown and recharge to full. I do this every now and then.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

^ This

My 5s has recently started doing this when I unplug it in the morning from charging it overnight. Usually a reset works, but I usually completely kill the battery once a month as well.

9. chupachup, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014

chupachup macrumors 6502

The answers you've gotten so far are the typical ones you'll get.

Let me tell you that you will suffer this issue for the life of your phone. My iPhone 4s started doing the same thing. All the things they tell you to do here may fix it temporarily, but it'll start doing it again.

I can also tell you it will start shutting off on you. Maybe at 10%. Maybe at 20%. The phone will not boot up until you plug it in. It used to happen to me if I took a picture. Someone at my job, it happens to her sometimes when opening Facebook. And hers can be at 50%.

My phone could say 100%. Unplug it, goes to 97%. Or be at 87% then restart it and it would come back at 93%.

Guys here will tell you to turn that off. That it really doesn't matter, but it'll get worse overtime. Bottom line is, you won't be able to make it through a day with the iPhone.

IPhone has been the WORSE phone I've ever owned when it comes to battery. It is awful no matter what the fanboys say. It will get worse. Just get ready.

Like in the Samsung commercials, if you own an iPhone you'll end up hugging a wall eventually.

If battery life is essential for you, then an iPhone isn't ideal.

My G2. I've been using it HEAVY since yesterday because it was mother's day and I took pictures and video and was posting them on Facebook. It has now been off the charger for 24 hours. I'm at 19%.

My G2 is almost a year old. It doesn't shut down. It doesn't go from 100% to 97% or does any weird things when you restarted it when you charge it. It lasts forever on one charge with HEAVY use all day.

If this was running iOS, it would be the best iPhone ever.

10. chupachup macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4s started doing this after a year or so of use.

Like you I also claimed victory when I reset it. I even restored it a few times, but it is only a temporary fix for worse things to come. Get ready for a new phone or a new battery. It'll get worse next year and you'll get sick of resetting it and restoring it. The battery life will suck no matter what.

11. pure-rockstar macrumors regular

Tip: you can avoid the 5 minute wait time to charge after your iPhone dies by plugging it in while it's dying. Than you can quickly turn it back on.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you start seeing other battery related issues as well like you mentioned then yes, if it's simply what the OP mentioned, then not necessarily.