5s calls go directly to voicemail--no ring

alainr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
I have an iphone 5s. verizon is my carrier.

Sometimes a call goes directly into my voicemail without ringing.

It is not constant. I may get one phone call and then 10 minutes later (and i am in the same place) I see a message that someone called, but the phone did not ring. 30 minutes later, a call comes thru.

this has happened in different locations.

i don't have do not disturb on, nor the mute button.

any solutions?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What do you mean by seeing a message that someone called? Do you actually see a missed call on the phone, or so you mean you suddenly just see a new voicemail out of nowhere?

alainr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
there is a notice of a voicemail message

What do you mean by seeing a message that someone called? Do you actually see a missed call on the phone, or so you mean you suddenly just see a new voicemail out of nowhere?
The first screen says there is a message and to slide and i get to the message and can play it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The first screen says there is a message and to slide and i get to the message and can play it.
By message you mean a new voicemail, right? And no sign of missed call notification?

alainr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
By message you mean a new voicemail, right? And no sign of missed call notification?
there is no notice of a missed call.
just a notice that there is a voicemail message.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
there is no notice of a missed call.
just a notice that there is a voicemail message.
You can perhaps try resetting network settings to see if that might help with the issue. There's also a new iOS 7 update that was released today, perhaps installing that might get things working.

Of course that's aside from the possibility that you might have a weak Verizon signal in various locations where this happens, which can occasionally result in things of this nature.

alainr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
You can perhaps try resetting network settings to see if that might help with the issue. There's also a new iOS 7 update that was released today, perhaps installing that might get things working.

You were right on the button. i went to the genius bar today and they reset my network settings. he said to call verizon and see if there are signal problems in my area.

i will check what the new ios7 update is about.
if there are still problems, he said to do a backup, wipe it clean and restore.
thank you!