iPhone 5S. Cons on waiting?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dasx, Jan 5, 2014.

1. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Hey all.

I got a 5S running 7.0.4. I think it had 7.0.3 when I bought it, and OTA updated to 7.0.4. I'm reluctant to jailbreak it right now for several reasons which are offtopic. My question is:

I wanna wait to jailbreak the iPhone, and I was wondering if I can leave it at its current state, run Evasion in some time, and just get it jailbroken.

My main concern comes from it being OTA updated to 7.0.4. Anyone has had any problems with that? I don't wanna find myself having to restore because of a bad jailbreak, and only being able to restore to 7.1 due to Apple not signing 7.0.4 anymore.

Thanks.

2. JeReSpringer13 macrumors member

I have read that updating OTA has caused boot loop issues with the jailbreak. Not sure about the 5S, but this happened on my brother's 4S. To be safe, I would backup/restore before Apple stops signing 7.0.4.

3. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Absolutely DO NOT take that chance. The evaders made it very clear to not jailbreak OTA firmwares. Yes some people claim to be successful, but in your scenario I would never risk it for fear of being forced to upgrade to 7.1.

Just install 7.0.4 right now via iTunes. Then jailbreak it later on whenever you feel like it.

Also, check this thread out....BigBoss is telling everyone to do this now. Speculation is Apple will release a new iOS very soon.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1691264

4. itsjustmike, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

itsjustmike macrumors newbie

itsjustmike

I did an OTA update on my 5S its not to hard to jailbreak it you just have to back up in iTunes, Restore the phone in iTunes, load your back up and your ready to jailbreak. I had not issues aside from the usually status bar thing

*Edit*
    you may want to back up and restore your phone soon even tho you plan on jailbreaking later because this will still give you issues in the future once another firmware is released

5. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

Let me get this straight. 7.0.3 OTA updated to 7.0.4 won't jailbreak properly. BUT. If you backup that same device, restore to 7.0.4, load backup of a system that had an OTA update, and perform jailbreak... No problems whatsoever? That confuses me a little to be honest. lol

Also, what is the "status bar thing"?

----------

Thanks for the responses!

6. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

There must not be remains when a backup is made? Idk exactly, but the way you just argued does kinda question it.
    And I'm not sure if its with the jailbreak or Cydia or something else, but right now the status bar will show up in apps when it shouldn't. For example: It will stay in the photos app when you're viewing photos.

7. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

When people say you can't jailbreak an OTA updated device without issues, they're referring to updating it "dirty", meaning you don't restore.

I always take the updates OTA and I restored before jailbreaking and had absolutely zero issues. I'd previously backed up and then restored my backup before I even JB'd the phone.

My wife's phone, however, required a restore even when the update was done via iTunes. As with mine, I backed it up and restored the backup before jailbreaking.

No issues

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Create backup like iCloud. Reinstall 7.0.4 now clean. Restore then jb. Seems OTA might mess up in the injection path and cause boot loops.

9. zmon macrumors member

I OTA updated mine since I got it (7.0 to 0.1, 0.3, 0.4). Jailbroke (Evasion 1.0.2 beta) at 7.0.4 without restoring, no boot loops or anything mischievous. Obviously, not everyone's experience will be the same. Best to go the recommend route and just restore to 7.0.4 from iTunes.

10. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

That's what I thought too, but from responses below it seems that no "OTA stuff" remains in the backups, whatever it might be.

OK, thank you guys. I'll take a few minutes to decide whether or not I wanna jailbreak and, if I go for it, I'll proceed the Backup>Restore>LoadBackup>Jailbreak way.

Thanks!

----------

Just came up with a new question. Let's say I jailbreak. I stay like this for whatever period of time. Then, for whatever reason, I need to restore to 7.X, thus lose my jailbreak.

I obviously can load the backup I did before jailbreaking, but I'll lose all the changes I've made to my phone since then. Any way to have a backup of your jailbroken device that will work once you restore?

Thanks again!

11. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

A backup of your JB'd device will work fine on an non-JB device. It'll have some preferences and such hanging around from the JB tweaks, but it won't affect anything. I used one fromy my JB'd iPhone 5 on 6.X when I got a warranty replacement that was already on 7.