5S - Cost in UK After 6 Launches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NightFox, Aug 15, 2014.

1. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

I've got a daughter who's saving and hoping to be able to afford an iPhone 5S 16GB when they're hopefully reduced in price after the 6 comes out. Can anyone remember, based on previous launches, how soon after the launch of a new model Apple normally reduces the price on the previous model, and what sort of price do people think the 5S will then be pegged at (for a UK contract-free one)?

Of course, it could be different this year with the 5C around, but let's not complicate matters!

Thanks

2. Dave245 macrumors 601

I can tell you that there will be a few 5S's going up on Ebay because of people upgrading to the iPhone 6. that's if your interested in second hand models. Or the contract prices will also drop, in fact some of them have already done so. Personally i prefer to buy my iPhone outright, and when Apple release them they are usually available straight away unlocked.

3. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Normally, during the event after unveiling the next iPhone they'll drop the price of the previous iPhone. That price-drop will come into effect when the next iPhone goes on sale. I'm specifically talking about SIM-free devices here, not contracts.

As someone has already said, if you don't mind a second-hand iPhone 5s, keep an eye on eBay.

4. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68000

NightFox

Thanks - she's after a new one though (even though I tried to persuade her to buy my outgoing 5S!) - non-contract bought direct from Apple. Can you remember how much they've dropped the prices by previously?

5. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

6. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

I have a feeling once the iPhone 6 is out, the iPhone 5s will be £100-£150 cheaper than it is now. The 16GB model now costs £549. We'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT:

Oh, and as localboy28 said, it'll probably be available in 8GB only.

7. td1439 macrumors 6502

td1439

If the 5S is to be the mid-range phone, then this doesn't make sense. Currently the 5C is offered in 16gb and 32gb, both on contract and unlocked. When the 5 launched, the 4S was available in 16gb and probably 32 as well. Why would that change in the next iteration of phones?

I think the 5C will likely be 8gb only, as it will be the cheapest phone (free on contract).

8. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

If you look around on Ebay now, you can actually get the iPhone 5S from a retailer much cheaper than from Apple, but be careful & read the descriptions as some are from the USA.

I recently managed to get a brand new unopened UK simfree 5S 32GB for £529 of Ebay from a reputable seller, so is also covered by Apple warranty.

9. techspin macrumors 6502a

Just give it to her, cheapo! :p

10. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Also, if you use EBay, be really wary of fakes.

11. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68000

NightFox

But mine's space grey rather than gold so obviously that's not good enough!