5S earpiece debris !!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ijon01, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ijon01 macrumors member

Hi all, so the 5s in grey has a black earpiece mesh and therefore shows every microscopic spec of everything, my 4s had a silver mesh so i couldn't really see debris, my 5s is a week old and the earpiece looks a year old already, anyone else notice this or am i being anal?

Would cleaning with a cotton bud help? or would it be best left alone?

Cheers

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I clean mine with compressed air once a week including the lightening port and headphone jack.

3. blarivee macrumors 6502

Compressed air / dust buster is the way to go. Cotton swabs may leave behind debris or trap the existing debris in the corner making it harder to get out.

4. itjw macrumors 65816

When my son had a lot of earwax and gunk in his ears we used a product called "Debrox". You put it in your ear, let it work it's magic, and then you can clean it all out much easier.

Clean ears = Clean earpiece.

Problem solved!

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is exactly what I do. I am so OCD that I am constantly blowing it out too.

I think he means lint/dust.

6. ijon01 thread starter macrumors member

:) not sure if your having a laugh or have got the wrong end of the stick here, i was referring to the earpiece on my iphone not my actual ear canal.

I'll give it a go though, ill pour a bit in the earpiece and let it settle in for 10 minutes, then i will use my karcher to GENTLY remove the debris and just to be thorough i will put it in the dishwasher on an eco cycle, you have to think of the environment don't you!

Quality :)

7. gmhag macrumors regular

I think some might be confused with what type of debris you are accumulating in the earpiece. I have actually seen other peoples iphones with tons of earwax gunked up in there. I guess they are pressing their phones pretty hard into their ear to hear.

I get pocket lint and other dust in the ear piece from my phone being in my pocket. I work in an office so we have tons of compressed air. That seems to do the trick.

8. ijon01 thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand how confusion is possible? it's a thread titled "5S debris" on an Apple forum, i could understand if it was a personal health or ear health forum or something like that....

No, i think humor was the intention, it did make me laugh :)

9. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

10. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

The iPhone guide says to "use a soft toothbrush and brush from the center outwards. I never have the phone on my face. I use speakerphone alla the time. I dont care if Obama is in the same room. Whatever it takes to keep the ear mesh clean...

11. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't see how it's humorous.

You said earpiece debris. Debris can be anything; it can be earwax and I have seen it in many people's phones.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

Rocket air is good, mainly used to clean sensors on DSLRs.

----------

Debris suggests junk not gunk. Earwax to me is not debris, it may be in people's phones and it's a hygiene issue. What most people think of debris is what the op referred to.

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

This was introduced with the iPhone 5 and the darker mesh. With the white iPhone 5/5s you hardly notice this.

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Yeah, umm, most debris is from pockets.

I either use a toothpick or a vacuum.