Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Coming from an old Samsung Flight slider. I'll be handing my mom a well deserved upgrade of 64gb gold 5S. Those making fun of her with her old phone will eat their hearts out. She's gonna have a better phone than they have. Can't imagine how she would feel using it since she's not that technically inclined. Reminds me of the member who posted about himself giving his mom an iPad air 2. Man this phone as a starter kit to the iPhone world is not to shabby. Wish me luck haha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 131

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I know man I love it myself. Thanks

She will love it for sure, I recently sent a iPhone 5S to my mom and she is not technically inclined as well as she still used a flip phone until this.

She is getting hang of it tho, being able to FaceTime has made a worlds difference without the need for any accounts and passwords. I wish I was around her to teach her more about it.

Ken Kaniff

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2014
Connecticut
My mom had some really low end Android phone, a prepaid Kyocera or something I believe on Straight Talk. I gave her an unlocked iPhone 4 for her birthday that I picked up for pretty cheap. She loves it. I'll upgrade it for her as money allows, but for now at least she's hooked on Apple so- Mission Accomplished haha

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Yep, I moved my mom to iphone and iPad a couple of years ago. Be prepared to become her IT person . Lol I've spent countless hours setting her stuff up and fixing when there was a problem . She's now pretty much up to speed unless her IPads wifi stops working. Then it starts all over again. My favorite part is always her saying something like, can my phone get email?? I really need email. I explain she's had email all along. Then taking a screen shot of what the email icon looks like. Lol. Here is a very helpful hint. When ever u need to show your mom how to do anything on the 5s, screen shots help a lot, along with instructions. It's worth every hour spent helping her, she has the current tech and loves it. When I was having a very frustrating night trying to explain something to her again, I suggested she might wanna go back to a flip phone. She was horrified, and said I'll never go back to an old lady phone. Lol. Your mom will love it. my mom is now a major texter at 73, slow texter, but a texter. Worth all the effort.

Ken Kaniff

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2014
Connecticut
I offered my Mum my old 5 but it won't work with nails like her Samsung!:D

Yup... a few times I have had to kindly tell her she's literally holding/typing wrong when she can't log into something. She's entering the wrong password by mistake because of her nails. She hunts and pecks though, I'm trying to teach her how to type with her thumbs but it's not working so well. She thinks if her nails touch the screen, it will press something she doesn't intend. I explain that's not how the iPhone screen works.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
She'll love it! Apple retail stores also offer various workshops in the morning if you're not around to help her out.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Your mom gave birth to you!!

Show her the love she deserves and sell it on eBay and get her an iPhone 6.

Its only right.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Nice. Lol @ gave birth to me. That's what my coworkers joked me about. Well getting her the 6 is an overkill. Kinda like giving someone who just got their license a Lamborghini. I think the 5s is a damn good startup kit. It ain't no lambo but it's a Porsche. Haha

----------

Btw thanks for all the tips and encouragement boy u know I'll need em haha

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Coming from an old Samsung Flight slider. I'll be handing my mom a well deserved upgrade of 64gb gold 5S. Those making fun of her with her old phone will eat their hearts out. She's gonna have a better phone than they have. Can't imagine how she would feel using it since she's not that technically inclined. Reminds me of the member who posted about himself giving his mom an iPad air 2. Man this phone as a starter kit to the iPhone world is not to shabby. Wish me luck haha.

You're a good son to buy your Mom such a nice gift. She will be thrilled with it I'm sure. I gave my sis a smartphone...not an iphone. Anyway I told to to just practice calls, email, and texting first. To not worry about all the other options. She is older too and she did well even though she is not technically inclined either. She quickly graduated to photos and attachments and I only had to show her a half dozen times. :D

KuchiKopi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
You should have sprang for the 6 Plus... Getting your mom a 5S is just rude at this point.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

I'm sure she'll love it. Just don't let her see a 6 or a 6 plus.

My mom's first iPhone was a 4. She had it until September. We upgraded her to a 5s after the price drop. She's seen my 6 plus and now wants to know why she didn't get the big phone because it's easier to see. ;)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My wife and I got my mom a gold 32GB 5s for her birthday last month. She loves it. She was coming from a 5 year old dumbphone (flip phone), and she's really enjoying it. She's technologically challenged, but for the most part she's getting along well. She's 64.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My starter phone that introduced me to the iOS/iPhone world was the 3GS. I'm on Sprint, so I used it as a WiPhone (that is, WiFi only). My sister gave it to me for Christmas 2011. With Talkatone for voice/SMS and Messages for iMessage I was covered as a backup phone.

I also jailbroke it three times so it gave me experience there too.

I'm still using my iPhone 5, which I got later. The 5s then is a pretty damn good phone for getting someone used to iOS.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
You're a good son to buy your Mom such a nice gift. She will be thrilled with it I'm sure. I gave my sis a smartphone...not an iphone. Anyway I told to to just practice calls, email, and texting first. To not worry about all the other options. She is older too and she did well even though she is not technically inclined either. She quickly graduated to photos and attachments and I only had to show her a half dozen times. :D

Thank you

You should have sprang for the 6 Plus... Getting your mom a 5S is just rude at this point.

Oowwiee haha

I'm sure she'll love it. Just don't let her see a 6 or a 6 plus.

My mom's first iPhone was a 4. She had it until September. We upgraded her to a 5s after the price drop. She's seen my 6 plus and now wants to know why she didn't get the big phone because it's easier to see. ;)

I can see my mom learning and all bets are off then

My starter phone that introduced me to the iOS/iPhone world was the 3GS. I'm on Sprint, so I used it as a WiPhone (that is, WiFi only). My sister gave it to me for Christmas 2011. With Talkatone for voice/SMS and Messages for iMessage I was covered as a backup phone.

I also jailbroke it three times so it gave me experience there too.

I'm still using my iPhone 5, which I got later. The 5s then is a pretty damn good phone for getting someone used to iOS.

My starter phone was the ip4... Then I never looked back lulz

----------

My wife and I got my mom a gold 32GB 5s for her birthday last month. She loves it. She was coming from a 5 year old dumbphone (flip phone), and she's really enjoying it. She's technologically challenged, but for the most part she's getting along well. She's 64.

Wow nice good for ur mom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.