5S generic battery replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mdv2, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Mdv2 macrumors regular

So it's been a little over 18 months that I've been having issues with my 5s battery and I hold no more hopes that IOS updates are going to substantially improve my battery life health.

Since I am going to buy an iPhone 6S/7 in the autumn, I am considering to buy a generic battery replacement. For instance, ifixit offers a battery for $25,-

Has anybody bought a generic replacement and if so, what are your experiences with those? I once bought a generic macbook replacement and although it did seem great at first, battery life rapidly deteriorated.

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I don't know if this helps but here is my experience with generic / aftermarket batteries :

In 2007 I bought a generic battery for my Sony PSP as a back up for long roadtrips. That was cr*p.

In 2010 I bought a generic battery for my Al 13" Macbook.
    The original one (when the Mac was new - 2008) - 5 hours / 2 cycles.
    The generic one (out of the box, when I purchased it) - 2.5 hours / 6 cycles - and now, after 5 years, a charge holds about 45 minutes .I don't know how many cycles it has.
    Belive it or not, my sister still uses that 7yo Mac everyday. It's her only computer.

3. nox5 macrumors 6502

In my experience generic battery has about 1430 mAh (if you lucky) and original Apple has 1600 mAh (yes slightly more than design capacity).

4. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

As far as my understanding no one has OEM parts from Apple. Not even ifixit. The only OEM parts supplier is Apple themselves. Which explains why the only OEM batteries you see on eBay are ones pulled from damaged iphones.

If you really prefer a new oem battery, you can take your phone to Apple and explain to them the situation. They will usually swap out an out of warranty phone for about 89$ (for the iphone 5S) for their refurbs. They don't do battery replacements, they swap the entire device.

Otherwise, everything you'll be buying will be generic.