5s has died

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zedzded, Nov 3, 2013.

1. zedzded macrumors regular

I've just come back from 2 weeks in Indonesia where it's been hot with 95% humidity and my 5s has died. I can't get to an Apple store till end of the week, but I took it to a mobile phone repair shop to check it out and they couldn't really do much with it, other than say the water damage sensor had gone off indicating water damage. So I'm guessing Apple are going to tell me the same thing. However it has not been near any water, other than a bit of sweat and humid weather. Has anyone else experienced this? Anything else I can do?

2. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Pay the £220 for a replacement unfortunately.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the sensors are tripped, I suspect your options are rather limited :(

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Waterproof case, ziplock bags or even those little dust protectors for the ports could have prevented this had you researched first. Good luck with getting it replaced

5. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Ziplock bags are fine unless they get hot then they can become very humid inside especially if theres any residual moisture on the phone from pryer human contact.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Unless you are very lucky finding a sympathetic employee, you'll have to pay the usual fee for a replacement. Would be a good idea buying AppleCare+ next time.

7. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

It probably got wet somehow. Think about it for a second: do you think that such an expensive device is susceptible to only humidity?

I spent a good while in the SEA region and while yes, it is definitely humid as hell every single day, it was never enough to trip my iPhone sensors.

That said, given that yours indicate water damage, Apple likely won't replace the phone. From what I understand they have a stringent policy on water damage. The replacement fee isn't too bad though, all things considered.

8. itjw macrumors 65816

229. Buy AC+. Next time be more careful.

They won't do much or everyone that drops their phone in the toilet would say it was from a trip to Belize instead in order to "cheat" the "system".

It sucks but water sensor tripping (especially on a dead phone) is a pretty obvious sign of negligence. Accidents happen. This one will only cost you 229.

9. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

Epic Breaking Bad reference incoming

Are you Saul Goodman? lol

10. zedzded thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sending the wife in today to the Apple store, lets see how she goes!

11. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

lol..

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sweat probably tripped it ... not the humidity alone.

13. zedzded thread starter macrumors regular

"If a customer disputes whether an iPhone with an activated LCI has been damaged by liquid contact and there are no external signs of damage from corrosion, then the iPod may still be eligible for warranty service."

14. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I love these types of threads... NO I swear it was NEVER near water.... If your case was so likely Apple would never be able to sell a phone to any parts of the world that have high humidity as millions of phones would stop functioning with moisture sensors tripped.
    Good luck with a replacement but don't hold your breath.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you can prove humidity caused the issue, then perhaps it can be covered.

16. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Yes.

17. iBryton macrumors regular

If 1 of 2 sensors are tripped it should still be under warranty.

If both are tripped, urge them to open the phone and search for sensors on the inside to confirm there is no damage.

Source: self-experience about a year ago

18. itjw macrumors 65816

I passed the bar...

19. Justin33 macrumors regular

Justin33

Scary because its 95% humidity here in KY all summer. Great. Guess it'll kill my 5S.

20. zedzded thread starter macrumors regular

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-Touch-iPhone-users-water-damage-policy.html

21. itjw macrumors 65816

Nothing to worry about. The other 4 people in KY with iPhones have never had issues :p. KIDDING!

Seriously though, this is PROOF that the op exposed his phone to serious water. Not humidity, not some steamy hotel room... Water.

People act like the exotic jungle is the only place with high humidity... Ever been to, I dunno... FLORIDA?!? Washington?!? Texas even?!?

Somehow, magically, iPhones survive the humidity without tripping sensors left and right. It's amazing!

If I ever drop mine in the toilet I'll claim it was Belize's fault. I'll tell Apple I went to visit Mike!

And I'm glad a few people caught the reference :)

22. zedzded thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well that was strange - so my story to Apple was I went on holiday where it was humid, hoping they would for the "humid story".. the truth was I got thrown into a pool and the phone was submerged for 10+ seconds... ;) It spent 2 days in rice & everything was working, but the fingerprint scanner. The bizarre thing was, when my wife took the phone into the Apple store in Perth, the first thing they did was to check for water damage by looking at the indicators - none of which had gone off. So as far as they were concerned there was no water damage... weird... anyway after 30mins of tinkering they couldn't get it to work, so replaced it for free :D

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Boom. Seems most commenters saw right through the humidity bull.

You got lucky to have had the phone replaced free of charge.

24. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

Such pride and ethics. :rolleyes:

25. zedzded, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

zedzded thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

----------
    Well not really. It seems they haven't designed their water damage indicators properly. My phone was submerged for 10+ seconds and it was a salt water pool. I'm guessing we're going to hear from more people about water damaged phones getting replaced free because the sensor hasn't tripped. As long as they can live with themselves for being deceptive to Apple :D