iPhone XR 5s moving to an 8, good enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raythepa, Oct 29, 2018.

1. raythepa macrumors member

Okay I've been rocking a 5s for 5 years with only a battery replacement. 4" is a little too small for me but all of these new phones just feel to big. I'm sure I'd adjust but honestly I think I could hang with an 8 until the collective sorts this whole size thing out. It's only a year old phone and I'm not a power user plus I'd save another $150 bucks in the process. What are my downsides besides not owning the latest and greatest?

2. zx128k macrumors regular

zx128k

I wouldn’t say their is any downside if it fits your needs.

iPhone 8 will be supported for many years by Apple with updates so it’s still a good purchase at the right price as long as you are happy with the form factor/screen.

3. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

No headphone jack is the only downside I can think of coming from a 5s. The iPhone 8 has several generations of improvements like faster Touch ID, more RAM, better camera, 3D Touch, larger display, the list goes on.

4. raythepa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, yeah I'm losing the headphone jack any way I go, so I knew that was coming. Plus I can add my Series 3 watch to it for apple pay. Maybe just push it for 3 years and see if this size thing settles down.

5. vagos macrumors member

vagos

Don’t expect phones to get any smaller anytime soon. At the moment nobody produces a 4” phone. People want as big phones as possible. A 4.7” iPhone 8 is a great purchase if you don’t like phablets.

6. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

No downside in my opinion. The 8 is great device from what I hear. I went from 7 Plus to XS Max so I never had a 8.

But I assume the 8 is great. It is a step above the 7 and I could have rolled with the 7 Plus another year.

The X Series is nice though with Face ID and all screen.

7. se95dah macrumors member

se95dah

If the size suits you it’ll be a great phone. I’m still using a 7 and it is still blazing fast so you will have good performance on the 8 for years

8. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I think the 8 is good if you don’t want a large phone. Plus it has wireless charging and much improved camera from the 5S and faster. It will be supported for a while. Even the iPhone 7 is still perfectly fine.