5S: needed to refresh the fingerprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bking1000, Oct 2, 2013.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

I am loving the fingerprint unlock. I can finally use a complicated passcode and I feel the phone's data is more secure now.

But recently, I've had a cold, so in polite deference to my family, I started washing my hands a bit more, which has led them to chapping. This seems to have altered the iPhone's read on my fingerprints, and I could no longer unlock reliably with my fingerprint (before I was unlocking in 9 tries out of 10. It dropped to about 4 out of 10).

I went in, and redid my finger prints, and it's back to 9 out of 10. It's easy enough, and I love the feature, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? Maybe this will happen more as winter sets in, and the air dries out?

2. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

I was wondering the same thing..the last week my hands are so dry, my thumbs look a bit wrinkly . I was thinking that's why I'm having so much trouble the last few days... I'm always washing my hands, they are awful in the winter time. I'm going to re-do my scans as well... I will let you know if it makes a difference

3. Poxl macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue and so deleted all fingerprints from the phone then redid them, which so far has solved the problem. I haven't recently noticed any difference with my fingers being dry or more dirty/clean than usual but I do feel like the ageing process is accelerating as I approach 40. Maybe it's wrinkles that I can't see as my eye site deteriorates.

4. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Took a normal hot shower, and behold the fingerprint sensor did not read my fingerprint immediately afterwards. Waited a short bit, and it started working. Guess the sensor needs to read a normal sensor read from the time of the original set up. Any changes, and it will have a hick-up

5. kalt macrumors regular

I haven't used mine with dripping wet or puny, watter-logged fingers but i wouldn't expect it to work. At best maybe save two fingerprints of the same finger, one with a normal finger, one with a wet/waterlogged one.

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

They should've gone with an eye scanner, blink twice to unlock ;)