5s or 6s ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vivek28, Mar 28, 2016.

1. vivek28 macrumors member

So i had an iphone 5 for past 3.5 years and it broke in an accident recently. That black-stealth-grey bomber served me well;)

My phone usage includes running/workout apps, music, recording songs, clicking photos and editing them on iPhone, imessage, facetime and good usage of safari.

I am treading towards 5s or 6s for a new phone.. Not interested in SE

• 5s is same design as 5 and thats not a bad thing.. How many ios updates will 5s get in future? it is available for half the 6s price now.. Should i get a 5s now and wait for 7 instead..
    • 6s is fast and i liked 3d touch on it not sure how much the devs are exploiting that feature in Apps. I do not crave for live photos or 4k.. As per rumors 7 is going to be of same design as 6s with difference in antenna lines so its better to take a plunge on 6s now?

i cannot wait to buy an iphone later.. So guys what do you think?

2. CB636 macrumors newbie

SE What's the reasoning? Don't want a contract?

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

4. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

iPhone SE. Is this even a question. Why wouldn't you be interested

5. vivek28 thread starter macrumors member

because the retail price of SE for 16gb stands at 600 dollars in my country. Exorbitant right?
    Now, I can get a new 16gb 6s for that amount here.. why go for a SE then as the tech is better in 6s (3d touch, screen colors/resolution etc) Although i am not sure which size i like better 5s or 6s lol

SE is great but not a great value.. thats why i am more treading towards 5s for time being and go for 7 or get a 6s now..

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

How does Apple price the SE and 6s the same anywhere?

7. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

seems like you know your needs, budget. Why bother asking random people?

8. vivek28 thread starter macrumors member

No Apple does not.. 16gb 6s launched at 900 dollars here but now its at 600 dollars from apple resellers:D
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2016 ---
    i dont ask random folks buddy.. I trust the MacRumors Community :)

I am not hesitant to splurge dollars on a phone, but i want a good value.

9. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

and "macrumours" community are not random people? So how do you know them, if I may ask?

10. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

If you want it to last longer then you would go with the 6s, unless you don't like the size. If you just want most affordable go with the 5s. Whether the device is new or not makes it more complicated, you could run into unexpected problems.

11. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

It seems the SE does have better quoted battery then the 6s. Thats perhaps the best benefit over the 6s atm. If uou are running with the iphkne u may prefer the SE. This as the larger screen could be an annoyance. The other thing is 5s is almost 3 years old, updates will slow it down even more.

In the long run, a 6s or SE will keep up with you and will mean that you can wait longer before you buy another phone.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If your choices are 6s or 5s due to pricing issues, then definitely pick the 6s. You're getting more bang for your buck imo

13. vivek28 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reps.

Would it be a bad decision to buy 3 year old 5s? I am planning to keep new iphone for atleast 2-3 years.

14. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

The newer OS versions won't run as fast on a three year old device as they would on a new device. There are also hardware considerations. Optimisation and usability would be greater on a newer device. Two to three years from now, the upgraded OS versions would not run well on a device that is already, today, three years old.

Between the two, if the price is the same (and even if it isn't!) the more prudent choice would be the newer device.

15. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I had an iPhone 6 for a year when it first came out. Hated the bigger size and went and bought a used 5S. Have been using it for a while, and lot it. A lot of people like the bigger phones but I just couldn't get used to it. Needed a small portable phone, not a large mini-tablet/big-phone.

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm not understanding how the SE and the 6S are priced the same,

But if you don't mind the larger size get the 6S.

I would not buy a 5S at this point.

17. vivek28 thread starter macrumors member

yes the 6s price is reduced since its launch in September..

I am treading towards iPhone 6s now but apprehensive about the larger size. Always used iphone 5 for past 3 years.. however i want to try a screen upgrade too.

Are there any folks who jumped from 5s to 6/6s and found it still good enough to hold one handed.. despite the burning threads these days about how SE is the perfect size ever..:rolleyes:

my new iPhone would be used for bike rides, morning runs(probably with armband), commute in metro and at workplace.

Will iPhone 6s be adequate or should i go for SE with same screen as 5 & no 3d touch.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

399 vs 649 on apple.com.

With armband I'd think you'd prefer the SE.