5S questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krspkbl, Nov 8, 2013.

1. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

Hello,

I picked up a brand new 5S today. I originally had the 5C but didn't really like it. The 5S is an amazing device and feels much better to use.

It came with 7.0.3 preinstalled. The 5C I bought on Tuesday came with 7.0.2. My 5S shows 0* while on a flat surface, the power button does make a tiny bit of noise if I really shake it and the sound isn't picked up while video recording.

However, the screen is what's bothering me so I have some questions.

1. There seems to be a very faint flicker but definitely does not bother me in normal use. There also seems to be faint lines going across the screen. Not horizontally but diagonally, again this is very faint and only really noticeable if looking real close. Is this normal for the 5S screen? Either way it doesn't really bother me but just wanted to ask.

2. There seems to be a lot of dust under the screen but again not really noticeable unless brightness is up full and I'm looking closely. However, there is one dot which seems to be more noticeable. I can't tell if it's black or red. You can't really see it straight on but at an angle. Is this a dead pixel or just dust?

3. At the top of the screen there seems to be a yellow tint. I know the iPhone's LED backlight is up there and sometimes causes uneven lighting but this is like an even dark yellow tint. Is this normal? I'm not sure if it's just my eyes or not.

Apart from these 3 things my 5S is perfect. I love the weigh/feel of it, it's much smoother than the 5C and it runs very fast.

2. Nerio27 macrumors member

Anyway you can take a picture of it? If I noticed all those things I'd return it asap. My first 5s had a very very subtle vertical line going down the middle of the screen that was only visible on certain background colors and I returned it the next day. Just to make sure you're not seeing things, I'd go to an apple store and compare it to the models they have on display. If you're certain your phone has issues those phones don't, just return it.

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'd return it and get a new one. However I am a "tech" guy and I have a 5c and it runs good as well so idk.... As far as everyday usage there's not much difference at the moment. There will be... By then the 6 will be out ... I let Apple get me every time with the tock updates ... This time I didn't lol

4. smr macrumors 6502a

I would be inclined to take it back.

Can you let us know in which factory and which week it was built? (You can find out by entering the serial number on this website.)

Also, which store did you get if from?

Cheers

5. krspkbl thread starter macrumors 6502

krspkbl

I put in my serial number and this is what it says:

Nice Name: iPhone 5s (UK/Europe)
    Machine Model: iPhone6,2
    Family name: A1457
    Model Number: ME432
    Group1: iPhone
    CPU speed: 1.3GHz
    Screen size: 4 inch
    Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
    Colour: Space Gray
    Production year: 2013
    Production week: 44 (November)
    Model introduced: 2013
    Capacity: 16GB
    Memory - flavour: xx
    Factory: F2 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

It was bought today at Glasgow Buchanan Street store.

6. smr macrumors 6502a

It is very new (built just last week) which explains why it came with 7.0.3. installed.

It seems from the iPhone 5/5s Display Interlacing: New Image thread that the F2 iPhones are more prone to screen flicker. (As I recall, at least one C3 5s has the problem, but most do not). If you take it back you could ask if they have any C3 iPhones in stock (I'm pretty sure the first two digits of the serial number are the factory, so any iPhone starting C3).

7. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I would take it back. As you want a Space Grey phone, you shouldn't have any problems finding stock. DN phones also seem to be fine too.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Just one question: how is 5s "much better to use" than 5c ?
    At the moment they are almost identical in daily use

Regarding your problem, I suggest to take an appointment with the Genius at the Store and show them your phone. Flickering is very subjective.

9. smr macrumors 6502a

As the OP bought the phone today, he still has his full 14 days to return it, either for a replacement or a refund. He can do this without needing to see a Genius

I'm not sure how a Genius appointment would help at the moment. As you say, flickering is subjective, but the OP says it is bothering him, so why not just get a new retail replacement?

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You are right, I missed the 14 days point ....

11. krspkbl thread starter macrumors 6502

krspkbl

I didn't really mean in terms of performance. I just meant that it feels much better to use than the 5C mainly due to the material it's made of. The 5C is a slippery plastic and doesn't feel as solid as the 5S with the aluminium.

Performance wise they are pretty much identical right now. The only difference I've noticed is that the 3d effect in iOS 7 is more choppy on the 5C compared to the 5S.

12. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

A piece of dust or a dead pixel is enough to get a replacement.

The yellow tint at the top seems fairly typical unfortunately.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Actually I have a totally opposite opinion: 5c is the right dimension and right weight for me, while my iPhone 5 is too thin and light (and 5s is identical).

I would like to have an iPhone with 5s technology and 5c appearance , in black color.

14. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Apple's customer have come to expect nothing but perfect, and it sounds like your device isn't.

Definitely take it back.