5s Screen is loose - what to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Aug 7, 2014.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have applecare and my 5s screen has sort of detached from the frame on the left side. Perhaps some glue came off. Now when I push down on the top right quadrant of the phone I can actually push down about a millimeter or 2.

Will Apple charge me under applecare? I have never had any iPhone screen break or have issues since 3g back in 2008.

Has this happened to you. Will they repair or replace the unit?

Thanks.

2. joec1101 macrumors 6502

The 5s is still under the one year warranty, so there shouldn't be any charge. Just make a genius bar appointment and they'll probably just swap it out for a new one.

3. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

As Joe said, provided this damage wasn't caused by you (dropping it or whatever) - even then I have found Apple to be generous. You shouldn't have any problems. Good luck.

4. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I am only asking as I don't seem to have the kind of luck with the Genius bar as some others.

5. techspin macrumors 6502a

6. chupachup, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

chupachup macrumors 6502

you didn't say how old the phone is..

7. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

There is not an issue man, you just visit a apple care i think they may not be charged, they simply and easily fixed it and solve your problem. :)

8. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

In my experience, provided you are polite & decent you'll get a positive result. Please post back to let us know. Cheers.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No luck is required. It is under warranty. Unless there is a huge DENT where you dropped it, they will replace with no questions.

10. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've had 4 different iPhones since 2008 and never had any issue with the screen coming loose. I have a personal iPhone and work supplied iPhone so have had chance to use iPhone 3, 4, 4s, 5s with no screen issues.

Went to Apple store and the Apple Genius guy looked at left side of phone where the panel was loose and saw there was no impact damage. I keep the phone in the UNU case about 98% of the time unless i have it at home and need to charge case + phone separately if I'm in a hurry.

There was some scuffing on the left side and a 1/4mm piece of glass had chipped off on the underside of the glass on top right side but this was only visible when he forcibly pushed down on the left side so that the right side would lift up and you looked under the glass.

He said there were two options but he never mentioned the second. He said he would see if they could replace the glass but he wasn't sure they could since he claimed it was impact damage. He said it would take an hour if they could replace the screen. I think his second option was to pay a discoutned fee to get it replaced under Applecare. Is this plausible?

My question is: has your screen loosened? I have never had this happen and wonder if it wasn't glued properly. I have had the phone for about 11 months.

I keep a case to protect it in case of any impact damage and never cracked a screen on iPhone. I choose case chargers that have a protective lip around the screen and this helps a lot.

He went to the back for 5-10 minutes and came back with a new phone. I guess the tech looked at it and saw it was not properly glued or something.

Thanks.

11. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

I've never had this problem on my 3 iPhones (luckily), but your experience is as I'd expect from Apple - they replaced it for you, as I expect they will do for the OP.