[5S] Something under the home button in the first several presses?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manuelcalavera, Nov 2, 2013.

1. manuelcalavera macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

This topic is NOT about the sound/click/noise the 5S home button makes.

This is what happens. When you press the home button after lets say half an hour, it feels very annoying. It is like something is under the home button preventing it from moving smoothly. Something like small pieces of shattered glass is under the home button. But after several clicks , it gets smooth and and perfectly, like every other iPhones. Imagine everytime you press the home button to scan your finger ( and several presses after that ) , home button does not sink in its supposed position.

Do you guys experiencing such thing ?

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes, every 5S in my family has it, and 100% of the display models have it. its "normal" I guess.

3. manuelcalavera thread starter macrumors newbie

So what about the people saying that their home button acts perfectly?

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I have read other members on here feeling that something was under the button....

But my intuition is telling me because the button is a lot more springy and rigid that it FEELS like something is under there because it's harder to press. FYI, now when I use my 4S the button feels super weird and soft.

Just my 2 cents, if it bothers you, exchange it, but I guarantee you the next one will feel the same. The button does sort of sound and feel different depending on how you push it. Sometimes it's silent, sometimes it clicks. I think people are not used to the new home button so they've convinced themselves it's a defect. It's not.

----------

Simply because most people realize the button is constructed differently this year so you can't expect it to behave like past home buttons.

5. manuelcalavera thread starter macrumors newbie

This problem is driving me crazy. EVERY TIME, after several minutes of not using the phone, I feel it. What's under it seriously?

6. Astrodroidbee macrumors newbie

7. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I have no such issue. Nor have I seen and iPhone 5S with this issue. If it bothers you that much take it to Apple and have them look at it.

8. pk7 macrumors 6502

Back in 2012, my iPhone 4S's home button started feeling and sounding "crunchy" about 6 months after I got it.

It felt like clicking the home button was actually two clicks - one when I pushed it lightly, and then the actual click once I pushed it all the way down. With prolonged usage, it would fade away, then come back after a bit.

I went to the Apple Store and they said to "keep an eye on it, and if it keeps up, bring it back and we'll take care of it."

My iPhone 5s shows no such issue so far and I will have had it 7 months this Sunday (launch day phone). I'd take the Store's advice and keep an eye on it, and if it hasn't disappeared by the time your warranty is almost up, go get it checked out.

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My 5 does that. I already had my home button replaced once last summer, and I need to take it back in again soon. It's super annoying!

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The home button on my 5s doesn't seem to do this, but my wife's 5s does. She doesn't seem to mind, but I think it'd bother me.

11. paul.p macrumors member

paul.p

My 5s did this also...feels like a grain of sand is scrapping the sides the first couple of clicks after the phone has been sitting for a while.

After a week or two the issue resolved itself.

12. Astrodroidbee macrumors newbie

Ah thanks for your replies. The crunchiness goes away after first few presses only to return after I don't use it for a while.