5s swap sim into 6? Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by betabeta, Oct 19, 2014.

1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I have Verizon, got a new 6+ on my contract, just wanted to swap the sim back and forth between the 5s and 6+. Guess I'll just try it, but I know when I activated the 6+ it asked for my zip/last 4 of SS, which was new to me so I'm thinking I need to do the swap on line and not just swap sims.

I hear things about the 6 having a special secure sim, has anyone swapped their 5s sim into a 6? Anyone know more about this?

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

I swapped my SIM from my 5s to my 6+. I don't remember being asked anything at all.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It only asks you for your billing zip and last 4 of your social the first time you first activate it out of the box. After that the particular device will never need that info to be inputted.

4. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

Now I remember

5. iceperson, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

iceperson macrumors 6502

I told the guy at the Apple store I was planning to switch phones with my wife after he upgraded me to a 6 and he told me to make sure that I get a new sim for her first. He said not all sims support all the new LTE channels that the iPhone 6 can handle. I'm afraid I can't remember how we said you can tell the new sim cards support all the channels though, something like the 8th and 9th digit on the card should be 79 or something like that. Maybe someone else here will know what he was talking about.

6. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

5s swap sim into 6? Verizon

Can anyone else confirm the above regarding a special SIM and all LTE channels?

Asking cuz I noticed my LTE speed on verizon has been the *****z ever since I got my iPhone 6 plus.

----------

My iPhone 5 has faster LTE speed than my new iPhone 6 plus.

Not only that, I am in the special XLTE area, and that should be blazing fast, but I am getting 4.xx mb down and 0.07 up.

[​IMG]

----------

Verizon

7. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I put my 5S sim in my 6 plus and my phone works just fine. Still getting decent speeds

Attached Files:

8. wxman2003 Suspended

Sim has nothing to do with what LTE bands it supports. That is hardware. If you transfer the sim from a 5 or 5S and had LTE on those phones, then all you have to do is put it in your phone. The 5S supported XLTE and all I did was swap from 5S to 6 Plus, and I get XLTE where it available, which is only in 400 markets on Verizon. My sppeds on the 6 Plus are no different than what the 5 was getting. If you are having issues, try resetting network settings.

----------

Not every tower in your area supports XLTE. I know in my city there are only a few towers that support. The airport area and I believe downtown. All over the rest of the city, only LTE is available.

9. iceperson macrumors 6502

Guy here says you need to update to a series 27 or 28 SIM. I'm pretty sure this is what the guy who setup my phone at the Apple store told me as well.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1847750-Anyone-experiencing-slow-LTE-speed-since-upgraded-to-iPhone-6-plus