5S to 6 leap vs ipad 4 to air leap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samtb, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Do you think the 5s to 6/6 plus leap is greater than the ipad 4 to air leap and why or why not?

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Good question! I think the iPad leap was bigger.

The iPhone 6 seems like a nice, iterative change. It won't much alter the way I interact with the phone (except maybe the new landscape mode). But I didn't go from "I can't use this" to "I can use this."

On the other hand, the change to the Air in terms of size and weight was so substantial that the Air was the first iPad I could actually use. I work in medicine and now I round on patients with my Air for 2-4 hours each shift without any issue.

So I guess at least for me, the Air change was a bigger deal.

3. Samtb, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

It's always interesting to hear about how people find the devices in practical use rather than just focusing on the marketing. Personally, I think the air has a better build quality to the 4 as well and maybe better quality control too.

4. cynics macrumors G3

I feel the 5S to 6 is a more substantial upgrade then the 4 to Air.

There Air got thinner and lighter, and thats nice but thats pretty much all there is too it. The Air is the 4's replacement.

The 6 while a new iPhone its different enough to still be sold next to the iPhone 5S. It offers new technologies (to the iPhone) like NFC, improvement to the camera, barometer, plus what I've been waiting for...a larger screen.

iPad upgrades have never impressed me, I went from an iPad 2 to 3 to Air then back to the 3. And if I had to do it over again I would have stayed with the iPad 2. I'll buy another one when it does something more useful for me which will probably be a very long time.

5. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, the ipad seems to be a more mature product than the iphone. But I guess to some people, the much thinner and lighter form is a significant leap. I guess it depends on uses, some may find NFC, the camera and barometer very useful, others may not use these features enough.