5S to 6 Plus - trouble handling the new phone, not enough grip.

mhaniff

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
NYC
Hey everyone

I ordered the 6+ on Saturday mind you I never went to the Apple Store to see the device physically. I was blown away by the size of the plus when I picked it up, it's gigantic I would of ended up buying the 4.7 If knew before hand. I can firmly hold the plus in my palm but it doesn't seem to have enough grip for me using it in landscape and portrait mode maybe Apple made it a little to thin physically?...would buying a case resolve this? I never used any cases on my previous iPhones.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Hey everyone

I ordered the 6+ on Saturday mind you I never went to the Apple Store to see the device physically. I was blown away by the size of the plus when I picked it up, it's gigantic I would of ended up buying the 4.7 If knew before hand. I can firmly hold the plus in my palm but it doesn't seem to have enough grip for me using it in landscape and portrait mode maybe Apple made it a little to thin physically?...would buying a case resolve this? I never used any cases on my previous iPhones.
Case helps 100% and give it a few days and you will be in love with the screen size....trust me.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Case makes a huge difference. I have the Apple leather one. It gives excellent grip, almost feels like rubber :)

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Take it back if it's too big for you. You should have tried it out before buying at this point. There is a learning and muscle memory curve to enjoy this size after a much smaller phone - it takes a few days. That is all.

mhaniff

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
NYC
Another thing...is anyone able to use their plus with one hand? Dial numbers, replying to texts stuff like that. I Can't use this phone with one hand or maybe I have to adjust to it.

This is the case I ordered.

Big Dookie

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
It feels odd at first, but give it a chance. Even without a case on it, you get used to the slicker metal texture and how to hold it correctly without feeling uncomfortable. It's an adjustment. Just like going from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5, this will take some getting used to as well. Once you do adjust to it though, you'll never want to go back.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Another 5S owner here, and I know what you mean (OP). Still on the fence regarding 6 and 6 Plus. The 6 I can just hold like my 5S. The 6 Plus I find myself holding it loosely and kind of sliding it up and down in my hand to reach everything.

apple.snapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
I was, literally, 3 hours from taking back the 6+ when my Apple case finally came in the mail. It changed EVERYTHING. I can hold the phone more confidently then I could before. 1000% difference. Perfect phone now, IMHO.

eric.john

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
It feels odd at first, but give it a chance. Even without a case on it, you get used to the slicker metal texture and how to hold it correctly without feeling uncomfortable. It's an adjustment. Just like going from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5, this will take some getting used to as well. Once you do adjust to it though, you'll never want to go back.
Completely agree. Took me a couple of days..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.