5S USB Device Not Recognized & Not Charging While On

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Fredster730, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Fredster730 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum so please try not be too harsh on me :p So...my 7 months jailbroken iPhone 5S ver.7.0.4 decided to stop charging while it is on. This happened out of no where. Also, when I plug the USB into my computer, it gives me this error: "USB Device Not Recognized." I've been Googling and looking for solutions and I haven't found anything that's work so far. I went through these step-by-step solutions here but it didn't work. I would still get this error in the device status "This device cannot start. (Code 10). A request for the USB device descriptor failed." I've also tried switching to different USB ports on the computer, bought a new lightning cable, and used four different computers and none would recognize my phone. Not only that, I've tried the recovery mode and DFU mode and of course, nothing...

The phone still works. I can make & receive calls, text, connects to wifi, bluetooth, etc. I just can't sync music, backup contacts into iTunes, and charge the phone without turning off the phone completely. I want to try do a full update to version 7.1 and see if that would fix it but I can't since Over-The-Air (OTA) update is disabled in the Evasi0n jailbreak. I really need some help and advice from you guys and I would really appreciate it if you have any solutions.

Regards,

Fred

2. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

Download:
    iLexRat
    Mobile Terminal

You can search it on google to find the repo for iLex Rat then when in the mobile terminal type rat then hit return. Should come up with a bunch of options then type 12 and hit enter. After thats done it will ask you if you want to restart do it. Then it could start working. If not you have a faulty charge port and should get it replaced.

3. Fredster730 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick reply hockeyman94. I just tried your method and it didn't work. :( I think you might be right that I have a faulty charge port. I'm still under the 1 year warranty (thankfully!). But I was wondering...is there an app or a method to un-jailbreak my device before I take it in to the Apple store? I'm sure that they will tell me "Your phone is jailbroken so your warranty is voided." Suggestions?

4. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

I would recommend just letting your iPhone die because they won't know. I would turn off Find my iPhone before it dies so you don't have any problems with iCloud at the store. You can try this but I like the first option better than this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giTrLWWOEUk

5. Fredster730 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I will try the first option but before I do that, any chance if you know how to re-enable the OTA software update feature on the phone? I actually would like to see if I can update the software to 7.1 and see if that can resolve that USB issue.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

OTA software updates are disabled in Evasi0n because they'll soft brick your phone. You cannot apply an OTA update to a jailbroken phone.

Is there anything in the lightning port? Are you POSITIVE that you were actually in DFU mode and not just recovery mode?

7. Fredster730 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey T5BRICK, Yeah, I've checked the lightning port and there's nothing there. I've put the device in DFU mode and tested on two PCs and I would get an USB not recognized message (see attached below). To make sure, I'd borrowed my mother's jailbroken iPad2 and tested on the two computers and both recognized the iPad. I don't know what else to do anymore except going to the Apple store and hopefully they give me a replacement since I'm still under the 1 year warranty.

[​IMG]

8. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

Yeah just put the flashlight on your phone with the screen brightness all the way up and the battery should die pretty quick. Remember to turn off iCloud because they need it off to do an exchange.

9. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

Let us know what happened when you go to the apple store.

10. Fredster730 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the ultra late reply as work and school sidetracked me. Anyway, I took the brick iPhone to Apple store and they couldn't fix the problem. They don't even know why. Luckily, my iPhone was still under the 1 year warranty so they replaced me with a new refurbished iPhone. But before I took my device to the store, I made sure that I cleaned out all Jailbroken apps, files, history, etc.

So now, my Jailbroken iPad 2 has the exact same problem. Lol...I donno if I'm just unlucky or what. I'll have to research and see if there's an app where I can re-enable the OTA update feature.

11. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

I guess I really don't understand why you are so persistent on the OTA update feature on a jailbroken phone. It's disabled so that way you don't accidentally update and so that way a downloaded update (which you cannot install if you want to remain jailbroken) doesn't waste any unnecessary space. Anyway, on to your specific issue....

This typically happens on older iPhones when the 30 pin connectors have been bent, broken, or are filled with dust. I don't really have a lot of experience with the lightning connectors so I can't tell you why this has happened (multiple times).

Have you tried pulling updated iTunes drivers out of the iTunes program files folder? I know you say you've tried different computers but you may as well give it a go.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

Right click the usb device with the exclamation point in device manager. Update software. Have disk. Point to the location mentioned above.