5S Verizon-Can't update to 7.1-due to Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pittguy578, Mar 11, 2014.

1. pittguy578 macrumors member

I am trying to update my phone to 7.1. It keeps on checking for update, but the 7.1 update is not showing. I really didn't need to jailbreak my phone in first place. I just did it because I hadn't done it in years. I would rather have the 7.1 update. Is that the reason I can't do an OTA update for 7.1?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you are jailbroken, you must restore your device through iTunes to update it.

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Just saying the the jailbreakers purposely make it stay in checking for update so you don't update and temporarily brick your iDevice.

4. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I had this problem last night. I downloaded the update through an external site and option-clicked the update button through iTunes and selected the new software from there. All went well from there.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A jailbroken iOS device will still see and download the OTA update. If one does attempt to install it, it will not install. All it will do is restart your device, check for unauthorized symlinks, then fail the check, and reboot the device back to normal mode with a message informing you to restore the device with iTunes.

6. m3nphls macrumors member

If your iphone was jailbroken with evasi0n, then the only way to update to ios7 is through itunes by putting your phone in DFU mode and restore it, but do a backup before. That is because evasi0n jailbreak disables automatic iOS OTA update when the phone is connected to wifi. People used to complain they didn't want to update but once on wifi, the phone would automatically download the OTA and keep it in the phone taking up space until it is installed.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Well, I can say I am in the same boat as the OP. My JB 5S does not see the 7.1 update. I had to manually update the old school way. I used evasion to JB.

8. 869639 macrumors 6502

At anytime one jailbreaks their device, the device in question will not be able to update via OTA and this is because the jailbreak breaks this feature [in way to prevent "bricking" or infinite recovery loop].

If one is using a jailbroken device and wish to upgrade the device to latest iOS version. One must restore the device to factory settings [not restore from backup] via iTunes.

**NOTE: If your device is jailbroken -- DO NOT CLICK "UPDATE" in iTunes as it will cause infinite boot loop or other errors.

How to upgrade a jailbroken device to latest iOS [Note:You will loose jailbreak and may not be able to jailbreak again unless a new jailbreak method is available for the latest version]:

- Connect Device to iTunes
    - Click "Back up Now"
    - Once back up is done
    - Click "Restore iPhone"
    - Let iTunes download the latest version of iOS and upgrade the device [It may take 30mins-2hours depending on your internet connection speed]
    - Once restore is done, leave your iPhone connected to the computer/mac and open iTunes [if not already open] and click "Restore Backup" <--- this will bring your apps, settings and files to your iDevice.