5S: Who wants a jailbreak feature to use the homebutton without pressing

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Poly, Oct 16, 2013.

?

Want the feature?

1. YES

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Don't have the 5S

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. NO

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. Poly macrumors 6502

Who wants a jailbreak feature that allows you to use the home button just by laying your finger on it. No more clicking.

2. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

This would likely drain immense amounts of battery, like other similar jailbreak tweaks have proven.

3. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

How can this be proven when there is no jailbreak for iOS7 nor the 5S?
    Additionally, no iPhone has the fingerprint mechanics as the 5S has them.

4. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Not sure how it would "drain considerable amounts of battery", but I'd much rather have Zephyr instead. Really looking forward to jail breaking this beast.

5. darricksailo, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

By adding this feature, the device is never in sleep mode because it'll constantly be checking which will destroy your battery as said above

In addition, your screen would turn on very often as the home button ring would touch your pocket/thigh so much

----------

Because it'll never actually go into sleep mode.

Springflash for this reason doesn't work when your device is in sleep mode (I have it to activator settings of press volume down, then up). Otherwise, it'll probably take a considerable chunk of battery life.

I tried carat (an app from the AppStore) before and it said spring flash was taking up 30 minutes of battery life and I tried uninstalling it for a week and I used it like so. I don't know exactly how much more battery life it gave me but it was a noticeable difference

In the end, I decided the convenience of being able to turn on flashlight was worth the battery life it took away (iOS 6 doesn't have stock flashlight toggling in case you forgot :p)

Edit: misread original post

6. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesn't need to be awake all the time. It would be enough to power the metallic ring while the screen is on. While the screen is off the button works as it is supposed to work.

Imagine it like this:
    1.Wake the screen with power button
    2.Lie finger on homebutton to unlock with touchID
    3.open any app
    4.lie finger on the homebutton to close the app :)

7. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

only really thing i am missing from a jailbreak is quick reply for messages...dont understand why apple is leaving this out

8. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

This is also one very important feature!
    Well seems like we'll have to wait a few more months for the jailbreak.

9. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Sorry! Misread! I thought you had wanted to touch the home button to wake the phone

How would you do double tap home? And there might be issues with it inadvertently activating Siri by holding the home button too long (e.g. When using AppStore fingerprint purchase)

If its instaneous response, then I can imagine it being able to close the app, double tapping (even triple tapping for use with activator), and holding home button would work but that would mean closing apps accidentally could happen quite a bit for some people

If there's a delay before it reads single tap/holding home button, then it might be inconvenient for users

(Just thinking about the flaws of the concept; I can see how it could be useful)

10. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

yes it is makes no sense that they added this into the macs but not to the iphones

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah especially now that iOS 7 has more gestures like swipe to go back, Zephyr makes more sense.

12. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

Well, I assume when you press the home button it wakes up the technology that reads the finger prints, and that would have to be on constantly to effectively allow you to just put your finger on it at any time to activate.