5th Avenue "iPhone Commercial" was Meet Dave

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cool6324, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Cool6324 macrumors member

If anyone was wondering what the 5th ave "commercial" was, well here it is. It looks to have been Eddie Murphy's upcoming movie titled Meet Dave. Here are some high quality screenshots from the commercial/trailer running on tv.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what the 5th avenue store looks like inside if anyone does not know.
    [​IMG]

-Cool6324

2. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

eh cool not gonna see the movie but still nice.

ChrisN

3. CKtoph macrumors 6502

Finally! Confirmed and with proof to boot. Good find and well done :)

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

that makes more sense. the iphone commercial, i just didn't see the correlation.

5. elbirth macrumors 65816

Interesting catch, I haven't seen a version of the trailer with those shots... it would make sense, but at the same time I find it a bit iffy. I mean think about it.. the 5th Ave. store was shut down for the night not even a month ago... as far as we heard, no movie stars were seen, and it seemed as though the store was cleared out... yet it appears crowded in that screenshot. And the movie itself is going to be out next week, meaning it's pretty much guaranteed that it's already been edited, cut, and ready to go by now, which left very little time for that segment to be processed.

This is hardly a solid confirmation that this is what the store was used for, but it is the most likely right now... sadly, I kind of doubt we'll ever get a 100% confirmation.

6. Cool6324 thread starter macrumors member

Well the store was not shut down any other time (unless I am wrong?). No one has reported who entered the store before the film crews started showing up; this gives people (or actors) ample time enter the store unnoticed.

7. nlivo macrumors 6502a

Nah, that's not it. They have got the old white iMac's. It just can't be it, also because of what the previous poster just said.

8. elbirth macrumors 65816

As nlivo stated, they have the older white iMacs on display in that shot. The aluminum iMacs weren't introduced until, what, August of last year? The filming for this movie would have been happening before that time to allow for months and months of post production work.

Also, although possibly unlikely, they could have filmed this on a regular day during store hours. Seeing celebrities in New York is nothing out of the ordinary for the locals, and I know someone who saw filming of Spider-Man 3 outside their apartment building and it didn't create a giant fuss.

edit: also something else to think about for the time frame involved in producing the movie. Heath Ledger died back in January, a full 6 months before The Dark Knight was due out in theaters (it's coming out July 18). When he died, he had already filmed all of his scenes in the movie, otherwise the movie would have been incomplete. Now, I'm sure that the role of the Joker will be pretty significant in the movie, so he would have been involved in a lot of the filming, meaning the movie was probably about wrapped up in filming around then, if not soon after. I'm sure this movie will also require months of post production work, which it wouldn't get if that scene was JUST filmed under a month ago.

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yeah the 5th Avenue iPhone "commercial filming" was actually for...

THE IPHONE COMMERCIAL THEY SHOWED AT WWDC!

Crazy, huh?

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Looks like the movie will be filled with disgraceful Apple product placement. Everyone in the marketing dept will get a cookie for this one.

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Product placement is disgraceful now?

I'd bet Apple didn't pay a cent.

12. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

"pay" or provide free shop time, free harware and extras?

13. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Free shop time?
    Allowed them to film in the store, perhaps?
    I just don't see the big deal here, even if Apple is pocketing money for it...

14. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

it's not a big deal it's just when i watch a movie and see an Apple Logo ---> :apple: thats bigger than Mini Driver's head I just think - "cheap and cheesy".

No one can just use a computer in a film anymore - it has to be a MacBook Pro with a bright glowing logo on the back in full frame.