5th Avenue launch question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by djearlybird, Mar 8, 2011.

1. djearlybird macrumors regular

I plan on buying the iPad 2 on Friday night. I live in PA, but I m tossing around the idea of going to NYC Friday night with my wife to get the new device, and goto dinner afterwards in the city. I would not get to the store until around 6-7pm. What do you think my chances are of getting one? (white wifi 16gb)

My thinking is Apple will have this store packed with iPads because this is their flagship store. I know last year when I couldn't get an iPad case ANYWHERE, they had 100s of them there. Just wanted to hear some of your opinions. :apple:

2. maclook macrumors 65816

Same situation as you except I live in NYC. Not only do we have the 5th ave store, there's the Upper West Side store, the 14th st store, and the Soho store. Add on to those big time flagship stores the numerous Best Buys scattered around and I'm thinking we have a decent chance. The only thing that worries me are the countless other New Yorkers who want an iPad just as bad.

3. Cha macrumors regular

It so hard to compared last year launch to this year...
    - iPad was new and unknown
    - iPad WiFi and 3G launch were spread apart

Last year (for the 3G launch) I got to the 5th Ave store around 6 PM, waited in line for about 50 mins, and got the iPad 3G. The store had a massive amount. It seems like for this release, Apple has flooded the channels (Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, etc...) and how the international release is on the 25th... I do not think supply will be an issue. I think this is the hint Steve Job gave by saying... first dual core tablet to ship in volume...

4. firehead428 macrumors member

Same situation for me kind of. I got work in the area until 7pm. Hoping to run over there after and not have to wait forever. Tryna get the basic 16gb wifi one too :/

5. Meanee macrumors 6502a

For me, 5th ave store is a backup plan. I plan to hang out at 44th street Best Buy, and if I can't get it there, will head over to 5th ave store. Problem is, I have to catch a bus to Boston right after that... timing will suck.

6. iMule macrumors 6502

That would be an experience. I'd make an experience out of that. I'm a good ol' southern boy from SC and got to visit the 5th Avenue store this summer. It was awesome!

Granted, we did have the Greenville store, but it was in a mall. Nothing special. I'd kill myself if I had to wait even an hour in a shopping mall.

7. melman101, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

melman101 macrumors 68030

I will also be going to the 44th street Best Buy. I'm looking to get a 64GB 3G Black.

I'll probably get there around 5pm exact.

Edit: I also hate this Best Buy. I waited for 20 minutes for an associate to get me a DS game. Spoke to manager. He went down too. 20 minutes later, they still never showed up

8. sinsin07, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Hard to tell. To many variables which are different than last year:
    1: No pre-order online sales, therefore people who might have stayed home may stand online.
    2: Wifi and 3g released together
    3: You now have ATT and Verizon models to contend with
    4: People who really wanted a camera will now have no excuse not to buy an ipad

I ussually go to Fifth Avenue. I think the best chance is there. If you go to Fifth Ave please make sure you are standing behind me.

9. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be sure to remember that, I'll be there, hopefully not holding an umbrella!

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Plus, it's raining hard this Thursday and Friday. So that'll make lines by 1 or 2 people shorter. :D

11. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I'd highly recommend the 14th Apple store over 5th Avenue. When I was there last summer, the 5th Ave. store was completely sold out of iPad cases when I went there, and was packed (on a regular day). The 14th store had about 50 in stock and was dead empty. Everyone goes to the cube, so you should go to another store to have a better shot.

12. Meanee macrumors 6502a

If not for Rewards Zone Silver status, and the fact that I have over 100 bucks in RZ certificates, I won't even think of Best Buy. Takes 10 minutes to find an associate, and then another 10 minutes to MAYBE get some answers.

This will be my 1st Apple product, but I remember buying a case for gf's ipod touch at 5th Ave store, and retail experience was great.

13. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Thats a great idea. Plus its only 2 blocks from the PATH station. Never been to the 14th Street store.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Another varible is that MANY have the iPad 1 and will not be buying the iPad2. When the iPad 1 came out, everyone wanted one.

A lot has to do with Apple's supply and what they have in inventory.:apple:

15. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Everything at this point is a guess, there is a lot of variables compared to last year. Pre-orders, 2 on sale dates, not a 1st gen product....

16. toshibauser macrumors member

I am going to get iPad 2 16G model tomorrow. My plan is to check with 5th Ave store around noon. If the line is too long, I will try the 14th street store. If both stores run out of stock, I will order online from apple.com. :(

17. Colgin macrumors member

The Fifth Avenue Store is Apple's flagship location in NY and also tourist central in general due to its location at the SE corner of Central Park. It will be a madhouse tomorrow with lines undoubtedly starting very early. I walked by there (out of curiousity) for the original Iphone launch and it was completely nuts. That said, that store stays open 24 hours and I am sure they will have a ton of units. So, if you have patience you may well eventually be able to buy one. Not the way I would want to spend my entire evening in NYC on a Friday. Better is to try one of the other Apple stores -- maybe Soho or Meatpacking District.

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Good points on the Fifth Ave store. Anyone know anything about the Soho store on launch days?

Thanks

19. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I actually think the upper west side store is usually the emptiest out of all the apple stores in the city.

20. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

It's the 5th avenue store. I think they'd be WELL-stocked.

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Really, isn't that a "high rent" district? Have you been around that store for any Apple launches?

Thanks

22. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

UWS isn't a hip and young area though, relatively speaking for NYC.

23. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Alert: went by Fifth ve store @ 6:05 Am this morning. Roughly 40 people online in the rain. I think I may try somewhere else. If anybody passes by Soho today or any other Manhattan store please post your observations on the lines.

Thanks.