5th Drive SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sammyman, Nov 3, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Mar 21, 2005
    Can you still install a 5th drive in the optical slot for a mac pro (2010)? I am thinking of installing a 5th drive SSD boot up disk, and then have 4 drives in a RAID array....
  2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

Jun 11, 2007
    sure can! if you have the power cable and the SATA cable spare then it will be fine.
  3. Goldfinger macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2006
    Yep, there's an unused SATA cable in the lower optical bay. Just plug your SSD in there and you're good to go. I use this config myself. 120GB SSD in the lower optical bay as a boot drive. A 2 disk RAID, a Time Machine disk and a smaller disk for misc stuff and my iTunes library.
  4. nanofrog macrumors G4

May 6, 2008
    Yes you can.

But I've a question; are the disks in the HDD bays mechanical or SSD's?

I ask, as the ICH (chip that actually contains the SATA ports) has a throughput limit of ~660MB/s, which can be exceeded exceptionally fast when using SSD's simultaneously, such as in a stripe set (you'd end up throttling if this happens = won't get the performance you may be expecting).

The ICH is much harder to throttle using mechanical disks (i.e. ~110MB/s per port <~660MB/s divided by 6x ports>, which is all the fastest 7200rpm SATA mechanical can do right now).