5th Gen AEBS - Transfer Speed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by christurbo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. christurbo macrumors regular

I have just ordered a new AEBS for my home network for the intention of connecting an external HDD to use as NAS.

I am rocking a new i5 MBA SSD, a 2010 15" i5 MBP, [as well as other tech] and I will be using a 7200rpm 2.5" external HDD attached to the AEBS.

Has anyone used a similar setup, if so how quick were transfer speeds?

I want to migrate me iTunes/iPhoto/iMovie libraries onto the external HDD and connect via wifi from the MBA.

Thanks.

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

It's all going to depend on your location when you transfer. I'm in the next room over from my Extreme Base Station and using the 5GHz network, I get a transmission rate of 324Mbps.

3. DaveGee, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

DaveGee macrumors 6502a

As BreakGuy already stated.... The speed you'll attain will be HIGHLY dependent on your environment.

What you are asking is similar to the following...

I just got a new XYZ-7848 receiver and was wondering how well it will receive 102.7FM in my house.

4. christurbo thread starter macrumors regular

The router will be in my living room where I do most of my evening browsing.

My studio is on my 1st floor probably 4 meters above the router. That is where i DJ so I would stream my tracks over the wireless.

The house has predominantly wooden floorboards, and plasterboard walls.

I currently run a SKY 802.11g router which works fairly well even though the range has been known to be an issue.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

Seriously? What kind of drive do you use? Or what program are you using to try transfer speeds?

I get 14-18 MB/s on wireless (5 GHz) not even a meter from the router, about 20 wired and 30 when the USB drive is connected directly to the computer. You're getting 40 MB/s wirelessly to a USB drive connected to the AEBS... Monster speeds :)

6. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Option-Click your Wi-Fi icon in the menubar to reveal details of the network you're on.
    [​IMG]

7. hafr macrumors 68030

It tells me I have 405 in my dedicated 5 GHz network... But I'm not getting those transfer speeds :) I'm guessing transmit rate would be the theoretical max, and not having anything to do with actual transfer speeds...

8. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

You're probably right. I don't do any transfers to external HDD's (I don't have any important files to keep back ups of, but still...), I sometimes use iTunes for AirPlay.

9. christurbo thread starter macrumors regular

When I configure my home setup I will time a transfer of a 1GB file over wifi from the AEBS external HDD.

10. hafr macrumors 68030

I get about two minutes per gig on average when I transfer files.

11. christurbo thread starter macrumors regular

What kit? and what HDD spindle speeds?

12. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Interesting pic. I thought the mamimum transmit rate for 5Ghz was 300? Looks like your getting higher transmit rates.

13. christurbo thread starter macrumors regular

14. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Wow great article. Explains why my 2009 MacBook only gets 300 mbps when right next to the Airport Extreme. Also explains why my iPhone doesn't get more than 65 mbps.

15. JTravers macrumors 6502a

16. hafr macrumors 68030

Apparently, these tests wouldn't be true in Europe though. From what I've heard the EU regulations on power output (or how ever you would put it) in personal wifi equipment is a lot lower than in the states and is basically reached already in AEBS 4th gen, so changing ones 4th gen for a 5th gen would mean no actual difference in transfer speeds or reach of the network.

This is what a network technician told me at least, anyone with actual proof of whether this is true or not would be very appreciated, because if it's not true I'd switch my 4th gen for a 5th gen tomorrow ;)

17. christurbo, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

christurbo thread starter macrumors regular

I have set it up internet is snappy.

Quick test done on file transfer - 2010 MBP on a 300mbps connection with 5400rpm external drive attached to AEBS =

500MB file = 54 seconds.
    1.3GB file = 2 mins 23 seconds.

I have not tried my 2011 MBA running 450mbps. I will post results.

18. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

That's not the true transmission rate you get across your network tho - to measure that you'll have to actually transfer some data and measure how long it takes. Chances are high it'll be far, far less than what the pop-down menu suggests...